X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Videos converted with FFMPEG do not retain orignal quality

Hi guys!

Long time no see. Well, today I have to ask for help because every single time I use ffmpeg to convert an AVI file to a MP4 file or a WMV one to a MP4 one, etc., I always get a new video file that has a poor quality, instead of watching fine and detailed images on screen I end up hating all those squared boxes that show up on every single frame that distort the images. The thing is that this happens even if I do not make changes to the width, height, frame rate or anything besides the codec in use and the file extension.

What could be causing this distortion? Is there any way to prevent ffmpeg from distorting the video?

Last edited by kyonides; Jul 08, 2012, 02:20 PM.
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
    Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win / & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

show the line you using .
    have you tried just a simple convert with no options,ffmpeg will try to pick sane defaults .....like

ffmpeg -i file.avi file.mp4

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

It didn't work. Any other ideas?
      Win / & 10 sadly

Comment

It would be useful to know the exact syntax of the command you used to do the conversion.

Keep in mind that you should expect to see some loss of quality no matter what you do; you are converting from one lossy format to another, which piles loss upon loss.
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

This is as close as I've gotten so far to getting ffmpeg to give a semi-reasonable conversion:

Code:
          ffmpeg -i originalfile.ogv -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -qp 0 -acodec copy newfile.mkv
          Not ideal, but usable. Still a a work in progress. You can see the result here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk07S8CS1MI

That's my 1st video. Like I said, I will keep searching for better (lossless) output.

Cheers,
          ronnoc
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

It's true, there was no way to get a chance to get a better output. Sadly, I'd have to give up, especially after I attempted to remove 1 or 2 audio streams from a video file to no avail, the audio stream of the output file got so corrupted that it sounded horribly, I could not hear any voice or the background music. Perhaps there is something about my PC that corrupts this kind of files while performing a file conversion. Thank you all for your assistance.
            Win / & 10 sadly

Comment

just a side note currently ffmpeg is only included for backward compatibility (I think) the convertion as of now should be done with avconv from the "libav-tools" package.

that sead you can compile your own ffmpeg , something on that hear https://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/...mpilationGuide

good luck

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post
                Hi guys!

Long time no see. Well, today I have to ask for help because every single time I use ffmpeg to convert an AVI file to a MP4 file or a WMV one to a MP4 one, etc., I always get a new video file that has a poor quality, instead of watching fine and detailed images on screen I end up hating all those squared boxes that show up on every single frame that distort the images. The thing is that this happens even if I do not make changes to the width, height, frame rate or anything besides the codec in use and the file extension.

What could be causing this distortion? Is there any way to prevent ffmpeg from distorting the video?

The other question I forgot to ask is is you were recording games or desktop sessions, as how you record them would differ depending on the type of recording.
                ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                K*Digest Blog
                K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                X