This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual monitor + ATI Card

Hello everyone, first of all, sorry for may poor english. Now i´ll go straight to the point, i am trying to get working a second monitor pluged to my notebook, i read a lot of posts with the same problem but the solutions mentioned (i will explain what i did already in a moment) didn´t work for me.
    this is my HD info. i have an acer aspire 5253 notebook with an AMD radeon HD6310 video card. Kubuntu 11.04 with KDE 4.6.2. (if more info is needed i´ll gladly provide)

basically what i discover is that the reason because i can´t get the lcd monitor working (left of my laptop scree) is because the size of the virtual desktop is smaller than the necesary for the two of them next to each other. i´ve tried adding the "subsection" at xorg.conf with the virtual desktop size i need( 1366x768 + 1600x900= 2966x900) but when i restart kdm and reboot, i found that the virtual desktop gets even smaller than the previous defalt configuration. this is my xorg.conf default file (the one i am using now):

************************************************** ************************************************** *************************************************

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **********************************************
    i think that there must be somethig wrong with it because i´ve seen lots of configs for this file with lots of lines that mine doesnt have.

this is all i have till now.... any thoughts?

Re: Dual monitor + ATI Card

Have you checked System Settings > Display and Monitor > Multiple Monitors
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Have you checked System Settings > Display and Monitor > Multiple Monitors
      yes indeed. but i get this messege:
      "this module is only for configuring systems with a single desktop spread across multiple monitors. you do not appear to have this configuration."
      the funny thing is that both screen are working but cloned or in the best of cases separately desktops but with odd resolution and the layout is not one screen next the other, but on top or below of the other.

Comment

if you installed the properitary driver then you should have to run the amd control panel. open krunner (alt+f2) and run kdesudo amdcccle this will allow you to run it as root as make configuration changes, using the amdcccle its pretty easy to get them set up quick and ez, use the "display manager" section.

if you are using the open source driver you should first off not need an xorg.conf at all (its safe to delete). open System settings -> Display And Monitor -> Size & Orientation , you should see all your screens in this section.also you should get a dialog when you plug in your monitor. (i do on my ati laptop , 4200HD) if you don't you might wish to check out the compatibilty matrix to be sure the driver supports dual head for your series

i have used the dual monitors on my desktop a few times, and i have always found it better to use the properitary driver to use for dual monitor setups.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

well actually i´m using the propietary driver. i tried with caltalyst , but i got worse results, i only got cloned screens, besides, Xinerama wont enable, the same as dual monitor feature in the system settings.
          i´m starting to los hope arround here

Comment

Working...
          X