This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ekiga, good and bad ...

Every since it was announced that Microsoft bought Skype I've been looking for a FOSS replacement.

The search lead to Ekiga, which I had used before, but abandon because it was too immature. This time I installed the 3.2.6 version from the repository. I've connected with several people and had acceptable results with the default settings. Not as good as Skype, and with no screen sharing, but acceptable for basic video conferencing with friends, one on one. Group to group can't work well with headphones, and to remove the headphones requires a careful setting of mic and mic boost, along with echo cancellation and the jitter setting. The higher the jitter setting the greater the gap between the movement of the lips and the hearing of the voice.

Over the last couple of days NoWorries and I gave Ekiga a more extensive shake down. Here is some of what we found:
    First, don't use "speex", and don't check-mark more than four audio codecs.
    Second, video sizes greater than 320X240 tend to crash the video, but doesn't bother the sound. However, if one chooses the detached picture-in-picture the 320X240 frame is free from the contact list. Clicking on the maximize button produces a stable full screen with reasonable crispness.

What brought our last test series to an abrupt end was a crash that closed my Ekiga client and took the icon out of the system tray. When I fired up the client again the webcam light came on without me initiating a call. In order to turn off the webcam I checked the "Disable Network Detection" box under the general settings panel of the preference dialog. BUT, when I unchecked the box in order to re-establish the STUN server (STUN.ekiga.net) connection, I got the following message box:
    Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings automatically. You can still use it, but you need to configure your network settings manually.

Please see http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Enab...rding_manually for instructions
    There is a BIG problem with that message. I have NOT been using port forwarding before, and setting up the 5060, 5000-5100, 3478 UDP ports and 1720 TCP port in my wireless router and the ufw didn't let Ekiga work. One possible fix was to re-run the Connection Wizard, but doing that didn't work either. Neither did reinstalling Ekiga or deleting ~/.gconf/apps/ekiga and letting the client recreate it. So, Ekiga video conferencing is out of action until this problem is resolved, or Ekiga adopts a better network configuration tool. I can still make PC-to-phone calls with Ekiga because the sip.diamondcard.us network connection works well. So, Ekiga is limited to phone calls only.

I tried QuteCom but it doesn't have enough input parameters to set up Ekiga. However, Blink, in addition to its sip2sip.info server, allowed me to set up Ekiga.net for audio and chat connections, but Blink doesn't have its video or screen sharing capabilities enabled yet. When it does I am switching to it. It's phone conferencing is second to none, and it has record capability built in.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: Ekiga, good and bad ...

Hi GreyGeek...

Please remind me again what your "program of choice" is and what you like and don't like about it?

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

During the period that I was testing Ekiga with GreyGeek, a number of changes occurred. These are:
      • The Echo Test changed from an audio test to a picture test using the webcam. To see the picture it was necessary to select View>Picture-in-Picture. When the separate window option is selected a right mouse click on the image changes it to full screen.
      • The message cited by GreyGeek, ie Ekiga did not manage to configure your network settings automatically. . . . appeared on my system without doing anything in the network area.

I have a Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro for Mac which is a 2Mpixel HD Webcam. Ekiga cannot use the full capability of this Webcam and the images are of a poor quality. Fortunately we were able to operate without headphones. This makes for a free and easy conversation and allows others to participate.

My preference at this stage is to use Skype. Unfortunately, the latest version of Skype 2.2 gives inferior video compared to that from 2.1. On the 29th June I notified the canonical maintainer Brian Thomason of this problem and have not had any reply. An example of the difference in image resolution between the two versions is shown in the attached graphic. This image was produced using Gimp to combine the images obtained from Skype using the Options>Video Devices>Test. To me it seems as though the camera software control is overriding the focus done by the camera's own firmware.
      Attached Files

Comment

I, too, like GG, hope Blink soon develops the necessary final "bits and pieces". The following article gives an insight into the dangers of staying with Skype.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...yam_2011-06-29

Comment

That is absolutely scary.

I may forgo Skype sooner than I thought, and use just audio conferencing (via an ssh tunnel) until Blink gets VoIP. (Ekiga video no longer works on my box.)

During the Microsoft & DOJ trial for illegal bundling, Microsoft claimed that IE wasn't bound to Windows and that users could uninstall it if they had the necessary technical capability. They showed a video IN COURT which demonstrated how to uninstall IE, "proving" that it could be done. A sharp eyed lawyer noticed that the video, supposedly filmed from beginning of the process to the end of it without interruption, had a sudden shift in the time shown on the digital clock in the system panel by several hours. When asked if they would demonstrate the process in vivo in the courtroom Microsoft declined. And, they were never prosecuted for an obvious perjury. IF they are caught attempting to deceive the court it proves that they are capable of anything, as their history has proven, over and over and over.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by PhilT
            I, too, like GG, hope Blink soon develops the necessary final "bits and pieces".
            I've been checking out various SIP clients. The only one I can get to work reliably is Twinkle. I like Blink a lot, but it seems to have ongoing problems with audio. Blink only wants to work at native sampling rates. My Jabra USB headset has two sampling rates: 48000 for the speaker and 16000 for the microphone. Alas, Blink can't handle that and it always switches back to "system default" for audio.

Blink looks really promising. I wonder what they can't seem to do that Twinkle has figured out for audio, though?

I'm a little leery of testing Ekiga because it wants to install parts of Evolution and a bunch more Gnome stuff...

Code:
            $ sudo apt-get -s install ekiga

The following extra packages will be installed:
             evolution-data-server evolution-data-server-common gnome-doc-utils gnome-user-guide
             gvfs gvfs-backends launchpad-integration libavahi-glib1 libcamel1.2-19 libcdio-cdda0
             libcdio-paranoia0 libebackend1.2-0 libebook1.2-10 libecal1.2-8 libedata-book1.2-8
             libedata-cal1.2-10 libedataserver1.2-14 libegroupwise1.2-13 libgail18 libgdata-common
             libgdata11 libgdu0 libgvfscommon0 libgweather-common libgweather1
             liblaunchpad-integration-common liblaunchpad-integration1 libopal3.6.8 libpt2.6.7
             libsrtp0 libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 libwebkitgtk-1.0-common xsltproc yelp yelp-xsl

Comment

A 'bunch' equals 21mb of packages to download
              If you use '--no-install-recommends' it cuts the download to under 17mb.

As ekiga is a gnome/gtk application, it does use some libs. The evolution-data-server is where ekiga (and other things) stores it's contact information, the same sort of thing would happen if a gnome user installed, say, Kopete

Comment

Heh. I understand that. Perhaps what I mean to say is I wish, I wish, I wish for a nice KDE/Qt softphone

Comment

I hadn't touched Ekiga since the June 29th problems. Today, just for grins, I fired it up and it ran without problems. No error msgs about the network. Between then and now there have been several updates, including two kernel updates. Don't know which updates fixed the problem, or if any did, but the problem is gone now.

Meanwhile, I've tried Google+ and its "Hangout" option. I'm VERY impressed with the video and audio quality and stability. It lacks the screen sharing that Skype has, but Brosix has that if I need it. But, Google+ allows up to 10 people to connect with VIDEO and sound at the same time. If one double clicks on their own thumbnail it sets up the main video to automatically switch to whomever is talking. All in all, except for screen sharing, my hunt for a Skype replacement is over.

Comment

I couldn't get this to open
                    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...yam_2011-06-29

I just got invited top google+ (thanks arochester) but haven't played with it yet.

Since I don't need screen sharing maybe I'll tell/invite all my skype buddies so I don't need to worry about skype / MS anymore.
                    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                    4 GB Ram
                    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
                      It says:
                      A technology called Legal Intercept that Microsoft hopes to patent would allow the company to secretly intercept, monitor and record Skype calls. And it's stoking privacy concerns.

Microsoft's patent application for Legal Intercept was filed in 2009, well before the company's $8.5 billion purchase of Skype in May. The patent application, which is still in process, was made public last week.

From Microsoft's description of the technology in its patent application, Legal Intercept appears similar to tools used by telecommunication companies and equipment makers to comply with government wiretap and surveillance requests.

According to Microsoft, Legal Intercept is designed to silently record communications on VoIP networks such as Skype.
                      China and other dictatorships will use Microsoft's "Legal Intercept" to imprison or murder lots of political dissenters, IF they don't already have their own version of that techniques. I can't call it a "technology" OR "intellectual property" because intercepting data streams has been around for decades.

I just got invited top google+ (thanks arochester) but haven't played with it yet.

Since I don't need screen sharing maybe I'll tell/invite all my skype buddies so I don't need to worry about skype / MS anymore.
                      That will work for Skype but I don't know if the NSA has "worked with" Google the way they "worked with" Microsoft to "improve security". Besides, while China is obviously oppressive, we must not forget that the PATRIOT Act, a misnomer if there ever was one, allows the Feds to use massive fines, confiscation of property, and imprisonment of citizens who haven't been found guilty of anything in a court of law. That Act allows the Feds to require that targets say nothing of the fact that they are being investigated, nor are they allowed to see the evidence against them (national security -- how convenient is that?) and they are tried in a "special court" -- which we used to call Kangaroo Courts.

Comment

GG thanks for the translation
                        That Act allows the Feds to require that targets say nothing of the fact that they are being investigated, nor are they allowed to see the evidence against them (national security -- how convenient is that?)
                        Wel that just me makes me feel glad I live in Switzerland
                        4 GB Ram
                        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I almost wish I could move there. "Homeland Security", FEMA, and the general corruption of Federal agencies into extensions of corporate America makes me wonder if I've been transported back to 1930 Germany. The only thing missing are the brown-shirted "Civilian Defense Security Force". Apparently there are plans in the works to establish that nightmare.

Just Google "patriot act abuses".

While you are at it, Google "rico act abuses".

RICO act was passed with the "promise" that it would be used "only against the MAFIA and organized crime". It is now used over 10,000 times per year against even ordinary, law abiding citizens. Often the target is someone randomly named by a jail house snitch seeking to "cut a deal" with prosecutors. The law officials don't mind because one of the elements of the RICO Act is that "guilty property" confiscated by law officers does not have to be returned, even if the property belonged to a citizen whose home was raided accidentally! Innocent people defending their property against late night or early morning invasion have been shot and killed. In fact, during these hard times with massive budget cuts, the property taken in RICO raids have become a large source of supplementary income. Cars, SUVs, Boats, money, jewelry ... just about anything of value is either sold for cash or converted to "law enforcement" use.

P.S.: A little history. In the 1950s and 60s, prosecutors had trouble convicting mobsters of criminal acts because they could use their millions to hire first class criminal defense attorneys. Being better trained and with better skills they put the prosecutors at a disadvantage. The solution? The RICO Act permits the prosecutors to confiscate all financial assets from the ACCUSED so that they cannot afford to pay for high caliber lawyers. Relying on court appointed attorneys, they are easier prey. Having served as an expert witness in several court cases I can personally testify to the inadequacies of "court appointed" attorneys. When they can't win enough cases to earn enough money to resole their shoes or replace clothing with frayed edges, you know that the defendant has little hope in a court of law.

Comment

I hear you.

My dad moved to the states from 1930's Germany and in the early late 60's called it (USA), FBI, etc) a benevolent dictatorship. He told me about the mcarthy era and said it wasn't too much different to what was going on Germany in the 30's.

Hoover was for him a reborn Himmler.

I guess 9/11 and Bush just took away the benevolence.
                            4 GB Ram
                            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                            X