This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 64 bit flash available

Adobe has published 64-bit Flash Plugin 10.2 preview3 beta1 for Linux.
    This one is capable of GPU acceleration (VDPAU, VA-API).

Just go and download the flashpalyer_10_2_p3_64bit_linux_111710.tar.gz file,
    extract it (libflashplayer.so) and put it into plugins folder of your browser.

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flas...10_square.html

Re: New 64 bit flash available

Glad it's beta. It killed firefox, when trying to play videos on youtube.
    Not sure what the problem is, or why. Works fine with the flash plugin in the repository. When I shut down firefox, and move the new libflashplayer.so into /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer (fortunately, taking care to back up the old one) and then restart firefox, it seems to behave normally on non-flash sites. Going to youtube, it gets very slow in loading, and trying to start a video freezes firefox. It isn't trying to download the video, the network just sits there, so it's probably something to do with the flash detection routine.
    Downloaded videos play just fine with smplayer.
    This is 64bit 10.10, latest updates, nvidia-current, tried both with and without disabling desktop effects.

Edit: Minitube works fine with the beta flash player. More evidence that it's the detection messing up.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
      move the new libflashplayer.so into /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer
      You should not even have flashplugin-installer on your system if you are using the 64 bit version. Thats for the the 32 bit version. Extract the tar file and copy as sudo libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins.

Also I have been told the 64-bit beta does not contain Adobe's new Stage Video acceleration, only the 32-bit beta does. Also, there is no VA-API support, just VDPAU and CrystalHD. Basically, only nvidia card owners who use the binary driver and 32-bit (or 32-bit Flash) will get GPU acceleration.

Comment

You should not even have flashplugin-installer on your system if you are using the 64 bit version.
        Good thing I do have it, or I wouldn't have a functional firefox.
        Firefox is pulling a script error of some sort with the downloaded libflashplayer.so, I will have to investigate further.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

It's running great on both Firefox and chromium on my machine.

Comment

I guess I've never needed to know where the chromium-browser plugins live -- where under ~.config/chromium should it be saved?

Thanks.

Comment

Chromium seems to read the mozilla plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. However, there is also a /usr/lib/chromium-browser/plugins directory and I put a copy there just to be sure chromium sees it. Checking to see what plugins are being used by chromium can be done by opening aboutlugins in the browser just as it is in Firefox.

Comment

Thanks!

I agree, it's one or the other of those directories ... :P In any event, it's working correctly here.

Comment

OK, after reading all this, I took a deep breath, and did as was suggested.

apt-get remove --purge flashplugin-installer

Which took the nswrapper package stuff along with it.

Put the 64-bit plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, and set a symlink in ./mozilla/plugins poitning to libflashplayer.so. Well it works, for firefox.

Smplayer, arora, midori, and konqueror have all dumped. I can't play anything flash. I don't worry so much about the browsers, but I do have stuff I want to play offline with mplayer. I put a symlink in /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer, but that didn't help. I think those programs are looking for the nswrapper stuff.

Any idea how to get smplayer back for offline content?

Comment

Working...
                  X