This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pana and Clementine

Has anybody heard of and more importantly tried Pana or Clementine?

http://pana.bunnies.net/

http://code.google.com/p/clementine-player/

Re: Pana and Clementine

Huh -- interesting!

It's funny, when I think of Linux and things that are needed to make it more suitable for the masses, about the last thing it seems to need is one more audio player. I guess others see it differently.

Me -- I'm still using alsaplayer. :P

Comment

Amarok and Bangarang here. Bagarang only to support DVD playback.

Comment

I'm surprised Clementine isn't in the repos. If people liked the original Amarok, they'll probably like Clementine.

Comment

I have always disliked the 1.x versions of Amarok, BUT on an old machine is does feel lighter.There is a ppa for clementine btw

Comment

The Amarok player was how I was introduced to the world of streaming music, and for that I will be always grateful.

But Amarok has been "out of it", in my opinion, for several years now and the "rework" of it turned, what was in my opinion, a very nice player that did everything into what does very little well, from cd playing to visualizatons.

That was one reason why, early on, I went to xmms and when they then ditched THAT, again a perfectly wonderful little player and a bunch of very nice devs did xmms2 I went to it, but, the front end never really got anywhere until lately wherein gxmms2 works just fine now, but still missing some stuff.

Than along came songbird, and we all know where that went.

So, now it is VLC or nothing because the whole interface of the new Amarok, for me is just messed up and guess what ...no cd!

So...when I saw the xmbc thing I thought now that is way kewl! and doofed away several hour in which I should have been grading papers to find out...welll....no, don't think so...

And just happened then to see Clementine....

Now...we are back to the nice simple interface that Amarok USED TO HAVE....

and I say GREAT!!!!!

Got it playing CSI Miami right now.

visualizations..........WOAH...........and some kewl ones! I'm a visialization guy although I am aware that many are not.

It doesn't play cds either BUT...............at least the devs are courteous enough to have a nice little window and a ding sound that says it can only play local files....

Welllll HOOOOORAY FOR THEM...........at least they are COURTEOUS ENOUGH TO DO THAT INSTEAD OF MAINTAINING a dignified silence and just letting the thing crash!

If they would let me write documentation for them I would but I have yet to get anybody that SAYS they want somebody to write documentation for them to actually HAVE anybody except a buddy buddy do it for them...so, I'll just be happy using it.

just my opinion

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I am just really am enjoying Clementine!

It does all of what Amarok did, plus it has lotsa more visualizations.

I'm using it exclusively.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I am using Amarok 2.3 and here it plays CD's very well, I also use it to Rip my CD collection and streaming. For me this is the first Amarok which will do all that I require from a music player. As for the visual look and layout, I prefer it to 1.4 but then this is subjective.
                Kubuntu 10.10 64bit<br />KDE 4.5.3<br />Kernel: 2.6.35.22 generic<br />Nvidia Driver: 260.19.06<br />Dell Dimension 9200 - Core 2 Duo 6300 - 3GB Ram<br />Nvidia Geforce 7900GS<br /><br />Linux user since March 2004<br />Linux user #526793

Comment

Plasmoid for Clementine

Hi
                  This is a relatively new plasmoid so all it does is "play music" and "show an album cover". And you can move it.

There is no playlist etc. You will have to have a folder with your songs in it in the order you want. Start the first one and then you can click next etc.

It does have a "semi"-transparent skin. It will assume the color of a solid desktop color but if there is a pattern in the wallpaper it will show it in the skin.

I would imagine that if people use it and like and encourage the developer that he might do add other features, I would like to see a resize handle but it might not be able do do that because of showing the cover.

Anyway, if you want to try it, go to the KDE look site and download and save the plasmoid.

There is no need to extract or anything. Just right click the desktop, click "add widgets", in the panel click "Get New Widgets", then "install widgets from a local file, it will provide a green bar that says "native plasmoids". Click it and you will get a "next" then navigate to the file(mine was in downloads) click it and voila! Close the new widgets panel and wait a sec for the system to fiddle a bit, then open the panel click the "All Widgets" and then in the "Enter Search Term" type in Clementine and you will get a white sheet of paper with a question mark(at least that is what I saw) and the word Clementine below it.

Drag it onto the desktop and start Clementine and select a song to get the thing going, you can then minimize Clementine and use the buttons on the plasmoid.

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=135581

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                  X