This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: gen wav question

I just played three of those files and they were 8000Hz, 11025Hz, and 21739Hz. All were mono and 8bit. An 8K sample rate is obviously going to sound as bad as a modern phone, and even 21K is cutting it a bit narrow on the frequency range that is reproducible. Despite that, as muzicman0 says:
    8 bit audio is very bad quality
    So, I would say that it is not because the files are old, or that your drivers are new, but because back then you thought they were better.

Comment

I will say that I have NEVER seen 21,739Hz as a sample rate...that's a new one on me!

mm0
      Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

well i do have some software where you could bring them in and re save it would take a lot of work . looks like what id have to do

Comment

imagine that you have a very fuzzy picture that was taken with a bad digital camera...

Now imagine that you take a picture of this picture with a $5000 digital camera that you know takes awesome pictures.

The picture of the picture is still fuzzy...

This is in essence what you would be doing by 'up-converting' these to a higher bit/sample rate...you are just making a great copy of a bad quality clip.
          Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by StarWolf
            so is there a program to update the quality in Batch form or will it be a 1 by 1 process ?
            As muzicman0 has said, it is not possible to "pour back in" the quality that may or may not once have been present in these clips. It is a similar problem to the loss of quality that happens when a document or photo is copied, and the copy is of poor quality. You can run "effects" processing on the poor copy all you want, and maybe create some illusion of "sharpness", but you cannot use the poor copy to get back to the original quality.

Do you know the original source of these clips? For example, if they came from Windows 3.1, you might want to surf (or cruise your local garage sales) for someone's old computer that still has it installed, or something like that.

Of course, if they started life as 8-bit clips ..... :P

Comment

well that answers that . yeah i collected those over the years . im sure they were made low quality to save space back the day of 500 mg or less hds . ill post this as solved

Comment

Working...
              X