Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

music files sounds distorted - codec update?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

music files sounds distorted - codec update?

Hi,
    I recently downloaded some music and it sounds really awful, although the bit-rate is pretty high.
    First I assumed it is just a bad recording, but it only started happening recently... and now I feel that some of my old recordings sound a bit distorted, too.
    Is that just me imagining things...? Or is it possible that I have some outdated codecs or whatever? I remember years ago that happened in Windows and after a Codec update it was fine...
    (It's not the headphones - I tested different models.)
    Does anyone have any ideas?

Chopstick

Re: music files sounds distorted - codec update?

You're not giving us much to go on. What version of Kubuntu? What version of KDE? What architecture are you running it all on? What sound card/chip do you have?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, Snowhog... actually I just meant to ask if it is possible that it is a technical/driver problem, because not all of my recordings seem to be affected. But generally it seems to be extreme sounds, like very low bass or high pitch.

But I will give you details, as much as I can:

kubuntu 9.04 with KDE 4.2.4

I'm mostly using Amarok 2 but VLC and others have the same problem.

Sound device is indicated as HDA Intel (AD198x Analog), but that is only the first in a list which also has HDA Intel (AD198x Digital), Pulseaudio, HDA Intel, AD198x Analog (IEC958 (S/PDIF)
      Digital Audio Output), Esound (ESD)
      I have no idea what that all means... but only the first one actually works; PulseAudio falls back to it too.

Comment

Did this happen after an upgrade or something? Here's a couple of crazy ideas that could cause the problem you describe. Regardless of the software, there is still good ol' audio electronics involved so there is always the possibility that there is an output stage problem. Low pitch needs higher output swings, and higher output swings "squish" the highs up against the ceiling - to put it in simple terms. Anyway, that's just the audio tech part of me thinking that. The same thinking transferred to the software side makes me think that you could have one of the volume sliders set higher than it was before you noticed the problem.

Comment

The same thing happens on two different computers with different audio-hardware and headphones but identical software installations. (Btw. is it possible that the headphone setting in general is somehow suboptimal?)
          At the moment I can not think of any update or anything that may be related.
          I thought of something along that lines, Ole, but changing some sound sliders in kmixer did not change it (maybe I'm not playing with the right sliders? there is whole lot of them that can be added in the settings...).
          I also experienced similar sound quality problems in Skype, but I was not sure if it is my call partners microphone or my sound system...

My general impression is that somehow sound errors or bad quality is amplified recently. Somehow this points to poor equalizer settings, but are there global equalizer settings?

Comment

My guess is bad equalizer settings. These used to be almost infinitely adjustable, in Amarok 1, and (I hope) will be again when KDE4 is more mature. In the meantime, if it really bothers you, downgrade back to Hardy.

Sorry for the pessimism.

Comment

If it is equalizer settings then look particularly at the bass because that, as mentioned above, also has an effect on the headroom and thus the treble.

The problem could also be psychoacoustic. I've worked with sound all my life and it is amazing how noticeable a sound can be once you become aware of it. It is also amazing what we don't hear until it is pointed out or otherwise become aware of it. Perhaps you just started to become aware of the irritatingly bad sound that most sound cards produce. A decent DA converter will set you back a few hundred bucks so when SoundBlaster sells you both a DA and an AD and a bunch of other stuff for 30 bucks.... well, you figure it out. Anyway, I'm just suggesting things that are not so common (in a forum like this) and perhaps it really is a codec problem. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X