• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XnView - Image Viewer

Qt-Apps.Org >> XnView MP

XnView MP - Qt Graphic Viewer

Description:
    XnView is a graphic viewer/organizer/converter, it supports more than 400 formats in reading, ...

On http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=16416 you'll find windows, linux & macos version

License: Proprietary License
    Qt-Apps.Org/XnView MP has a Ubuntu download. Downloading a XnViewMP-linux.tgz (10.3M) to the /media/sdc6/tmp_XnViewMP/.

Unpacking / Installing it with a command:
    Code:
    sudo tar -C /usr/local -xvf /media/sdc6/tmp_XnViewMP/XnViewMP-linux.tgz
    This will unpack XnView to the /usr/local/XnViewMP.

Check:
    Code:
    ls /usr/local
    bin etc games include lib man sbin share src XnViewMP

Making a desktop file > Topic: GtoK: .desktop files

XnViewMp.desktop:
    Code:
    # KDE Config File
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Type=Application
    Exec=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/XnViewMP && export LD_LIBRARY_PATH && /usr/local/XnViewMP/xnview
    Icon=camera
    Terminal=false
    Name=XnView
    MimeType=image/gif;image/jpeg;image/x-bmp;image/png;image/tiff;image/x-targa;image/x-xcf-gimp
    Categories=Qt;KDE;Application;Graphics;Viewer;

Comment=Image Viewer

Dropping it:

KDE 3.5 (Gutsy): /usr/share/applications/kde/

KDE 4 (Jaunty): /usr/share/applications/

After that, XnView will start:

KDE 3.5 (Gutsy): K > Graphics > XnView

KDE 4 (Jaunty): K > Applications > Graphics > XnView

(FAQ: Attached files are show only to the members ?)
    Attached Files
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Re: XnView - Image Viewer

Works in II as well. Cool. 8)

XnView is a truly great program.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, worked like a charm.

I did get this warning though:

ME@PC:/usr/share/applications$ kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4                       
      <unknown program name>(6470)/ KStartupInfo::createNewStartupId: creating:&#160; "PC;1230043473;254030;6470_TIME0" : "unnamed app"
      kbuildsycoca4 running...&#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160; &#160;
      Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-ME" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
      kbuildsycoca4(6501) kdemain: Reusing existing ksycoca
      kbuildsycoca4(6501) KConfigGroup::readXdgListEntry: List entry MimeType in "/usr/share/applications/XnViewMp.desktop" is not compliant with XDG standard (missing trailing semicolon).
      Just put a semicolon after 'x-xcf-gimp' (the only place where it seemed like it could use one), and kbuildsycoca was happy.

One thing that everyone seems to forget is that XnView reads RAW files AND it can display a fair amount of the EXIF.

Comment

Just put a semicolon after 'x-xcf-gimp' (the only place where it seemed like it could use one), and kbuildsycoca was happy.
        If it working, then it is the correct syntax

Hmm - i am lazy so i was using the ksquirrel.desktop /1/ as template. It doesn't have semicolon but the Gwenview has - hmm ?

That desktop file is a skeleton version:
        - about (Info button) XnView tells: reading 465, writing 62 formats
        - Registering MIME Types:
        The MimeType key is used to indicate the MIME Types that an application knows how to handle. It is expected that for some applications this list could become long.
        => XnView will open those 465 formats but there are only 7 formats that will offer option: " Open With XnView" at the file manager (you could add more formats...).

/1/ > 7 Best Free/Open-source Image Viewers for Linux

Comment

Is XnView stable and conflict-free under Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10 with KDE 4.2.0 ?
          is there any tweak to do during the install, dependency problems, other apps to uninstall, well potential problems likely to happen ?
          Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

is there any tweak to do during the install, dependency problems, other apps to uninstall, well potential problems likely to happen ?

About dependencis/conflicts

The XnView is a pure (static) Qt application, it doesn't need the KDE and it is compiled with the Qt-libraries build in.

Installation

The XnView is "run ready". Just unpack the tar archive. The only information that the application need is the path to the libraries. That's why i 'm using:
            Code:
            Exec=LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/XnViewMP && export LD_LIBRARY_PATH && /usr/local/XnViewMP/xnview
            at the XnViewMp.desktop.

Comment

Thank you. It works.
              It does have some features I miss.
              I change most shortcuts but they work only in Browse mode. In View mode, the old shortcuts (not shown anymore in Settings) are still working. But I'll look around another time to find if those issues have been solved.
              Single boot Kubuntu12.04 on Zepto NoxA14 Intel Dual Core 2GHz (64-bit), RAM 4Go, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Comment

Working...
              X