X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Streamtuner

Hi all,
    I use streamtuner to listen and sometimes record Internet radio station. Now that xmms isn't supported, I tried putting xmms2 in the preferences and nothing happened. Anyone know a solution ? Thanks,
    jess

Re: Streamtuner

I'm not sure xmms2 can do that. Just because it's supported doesn't mean it's anywhere near as developed as xmms.
    A couple other thoughts..

Are you just trying to run it as xmms2? Because I think xmms2 is more complicated than simply xmms, it's some kinda client/server architecture. I don't know much about it though, since I use Amarok, which works fabulously with streamtuner by the way I know that if you wanna give that a try, you put in amarok %q and it'll work..

As far as xmms2, I think how it works is that you install xmms2, which is just a commandline engine kind of thing. Each client is like a skin. Instead of running xmms2, you run the client's command line, and it'll automatically use xmms2 as the backend and play music. At least, that's how I think it's supposed to work. But it doesn't work with streamtuner, and it never has for me when I've tried it. From looking at it I'd say that if you wanted to just run the commandline xmms2 program with streamtuner that you would put
    Code:
    xterm -e xmms2 add %q
    into the streamtuner preferences, which would make a terminal pop up and run the xmms2 commandline program and add in the url which was passed to it as an argument. But it doesn't work. I guess xmms2 just sucks, is all.

And the available clients aren't any better, from my quick run-through of them just prior to posting this. Looks like in the repos there's abraca, esperanza, and gxmms2, and if you install them, you can run them and they'll use the xmms2 backend. If you want, you can put something like
    Code:
    gxmms2 %q
    into steamtuner and while it will start these clients, it won't actually play the stream. Better than the nothing that you got out of it, but not success either.

It's more trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. That's why I use Amarok in conjunction with streamtuner, or just regular xmms if on a system that doesn't have a lot of spare computing power.

Comment

Hey molloollom,
      Thanks very much for your reply. Yes, I am trying to just run xmms2 in it's place. I didn't know that amarok would do that. I agree with you that xmms2 would be more trouble than it's worth. I'll try your suggestions. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get a response.
      Thanks again and have a good day,
      Jess

Comment

Happy to help
        Hope it works out alright for you.

Comment

Working...
        X