This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music visualisations?

Sorry if this is the wrong place. Moderators feel free to move!
    I'm currently using Noatun as my main media player (I really couldn't stand Amarok for some reason) and am pretty happy with it. The only thing that's bothering me is that the visualisations, while pretty cool for the most part, only appear in a small window that doesn't get any bigger. I tried forcing them in "Special Windows Settings" to be maximised and full screen, but it seems that this is as big as they get. What I really want to do is something I've seen a mate of mine do on an XP system (boo!), which is turning the visualisation into his desktop wallpaper. I can do this to an extent, also in the "Special Windows Settings", but since the visualisation never gets bigger than 518x379 it naturally doesn't take up the whole desktop as I want it to.
    So what I'm wondering is if anybody knows any decent music visualisation software that'll work on Kubuntu and that I can set as my desktop? (Or alternatively if anybody knows how I can do this with my existing visualisations)

Cheers!

Re: Music visualisations?

I'm not sure about putting the visualization on the desktop yet, but the best visualization by far is projectM. You know Milkdrop, the top-notch visualization that runs in Winamp on windows? Well projectM is a plugin to linux media players that allows them to run the milkdrop visualizations. You can install it from the default repositories, and select it as a visualization in things like amarok and xmms, and I think any other media player that uses libvisual for visualizations.
    Here's an example of the visualizations that milkdrop/projectM does (there's thousands of plugins)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScJvQhWL7Lg

Comment

Do you know how to select it for visualization use in Amarok? I have libvisual installed with the default plugins and use it in Amarok. I installed projectM and don't see it listed. Any ideas?

Comment

I find that after installing projectM, it's not immediately available in the list of visualizations until I restart Amarok, but that after that, it should be there.

Comment

I've rebooted and still not there. I go to Tools --> Visualisations and it shows the ones I get with Libvisual but nothing else. I actually find the way Amarok handles those "plugins" rather lacking, but I do like Amarok overall.

Comment

That's weird, before posting my above reply I'd made sure to verify the repo install by putting it on my laptop running ubuntu 8.04 netbook remix, and it was right there after restarting the application. I'm fairly sure that's all I had to do with my desktop computer too, which is running kubuntu 8.04/kde 3.5.9.
            You could always build from source code if you wanted, which I've often done in the past as the repository version is pretty outdated, and there has even been times for me too where I couldn't get the one in the repository to work.

But yeah I also wish that amarok handled visualizations differently.

Comment

which is running kubuntu 8.04/kde 3.5.9

Ahhhh, that may be why then. I did get it from the Repos and it isntalled, but my system is KDE4.1 64bit. May have something to do with it. Let go with that!

Comment

OK. I don't give up easy. Got it installed for Amarok. My bad on that one . Now when I go to activate it, a Window does show but closes after abut 2 seconds, maybe quicker. Any ideas?

Comment

I admire your effort to getting it to work. How'd you get past the earlier problem with it not showing up in the visualizations menu? Anyway, most my ideas involve hunting down the bug and/or asking the projectm dev team to help you out with it. They're very active, so I think they would. Course, I'd still recommend building from source if you haven't already, since it might already be fixed in the latest release. The latest release on sourceforge is 1.2, and the version in the repo is 1.0. No doubt a lot of bugs have been fixed since then. Says on their homepage they've even got a 2.0 version in the works that's already sitting in subversion. Dunno about you, but I've never built anything from svn before so I can't recommend going that far, but it is a thought..

Anyway, what do we know? We know it works on kubuntu hardy 32bit/kde3.5, and occam's razor dictates that it probably relates to your use of a 64 bit OS or using the unstable new KDE. You could install the 3.5.9 core and log into it from your 64 bit OS, and see if it works in amarok from there. If it doesn't, it must be the fact you're using a 64 bit kubuntu version, which might go a long way to helping fix the problem. (assuming it hasn't already in the newest stable or development versions)

I'd be happy to help hunt down the problem with you by way of installing kde 4.1 on my 32 bit kubuntu to determine whether it's kde 4 that's doing it, though I'd need to know what version of projectM you're running before doing so for the test to have much meaning.

Comment

Still looking. I'll find it!! Might be a version thing. Anyway, had I also noticed the package "libvisual-projectm", I wouldn't have had the initial problem. I installed it after going pack through Adept Manager. Egg on the face .

So the repos have version 1.0. Hmmm...I guess a look at what is on projectM's site wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Working...
                    X