This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Video and audio Editing Section?

I have just entered the audio/video editing world in Linux and would like to know your opinions as to what are the better applications for such work (both categories)?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

My feeble attempts to convert old VHS tapes to DVDs suggest that the following packages are about the best available in the "free" domain:

Avidemux
    Kdenlive
    DeVeDe

Let me know if you learn more about it .... 8)

Comment

I also use avidemux. It is good at what it does, but when it comes to simple editing, I found an app called gopchop that is super. Both are in the repos.

Comment

Re: Re: Video and audio Editing Section?

Thanks, I have a small collection of VHS tapes I've been wanting to convert to DVD's; I'll have to give those apps a try
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Is Kdenlive better than Ardour?

Edit: Oops :P Sorry about that; 2 different apps (I guess I was thinking of something else).
          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I did not attempt to use Ardour -- you can be the guinea pig on that one!

Comment

Ardour 2.0 : A Brief Practical Introduction
              Kdenlive: Video Editing On Linux

Some lite reading.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did not attempt to use Ardour -- you can be the guinea pig on that one!
                I guess we posted at the same time

I'm trying to remember what application I was comparing with Ardour when I was deciding which I liked better (Ardour is for audio editing). I was also comparing Kdenlive with several other video editors at the same time, so I guess I just got them confused :P

Some lite reading.
                Thanks Snowhog, I can use all I can get
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

I use Audacity for audio stuff. That plus Gnome Wave Cleaner. Last summer I recorded a bunch of 78 RPM records and attempted to "clean" them up. I would say I got fairly proficient at the process, although (like a Xerox copy) your final product is never better than the original, so you kinda have to accept the limits of the source material.

Comment

Audacity Wiki Home Page
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

More good stuff!

I had a teacher back in highschool who'd just moved into the area . . . in the first couple of months he lived down here, he'd collected over 400 DVD's, and according to him, he had a collection of over 1,000 movies (mostly VHS)! He'd have a Hay Day trying to convert all those to DVD

(He was one of the best teachers I ever had)
                      Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

A full (4-hour) VHS tape uses about 22 - 23GB of hard drive space, as an .mpg file. Then you want to make a copy for editing purposes (to leave the original intact as recorded) so that's close to 50GB consumed by one tape. Now you know why I have 5 hard drives and over 1 TB of disk capacity.

Comment

You definitely have a nice setup; have you explored any more into the realm of XFS? My system definitely seems to be able to move large files quickly.
                          Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                            I use Audacity for audio stuff. That plus Gnome Wave Cleaner. Last summer I recorded a bunch of 78 RPM records and attempted to "clean" them up. I would say I got fairly proficient at the process, although (like a Xerox copy) your final product is never better than the original, so you kinda have to accept the limits of the source material.
                            I have done a lot of 33's, but am getting ready to tackle my 78's. I use noise and click removal with Audacity. Did Gnome Wave Cleaner do something significant that Audacity wouldn't do? I have been pretty pleased with Audacity, but I wear hearing aids, so I don't have the best hearing.

Comment

Working...
                            X