This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move to Xenforo

Mind you, I quite like vBulletin. Well, not in the current broken state on KFN, but in general.
    But, the more I use Xenforo, the more I like it. From a user's point of view, I find it vastly superior.

Look into it?
    It's cheaper than vB.
    Hosting it (managed) in places like Knownhost is also dirt cheap.
    They have migration tools from vBulletin that reportedly work without a glitch. In fact, I know a couple of forums that made the move, from a user's point of view, it was really smooth.

Try it. There's countless forums out there using it, pick one on a subject that vaguely interests you...

One thing (among many) I particularly like is, you're writing a post, someone else posts, you get a little box saying "someone just made a post in this thread, would you like to see it?
    You say yes, it expands the thread, leaves your editing box just where it is, and Bob's your uncle.
    Other neat features include, highlighting text allows you to reply with just that quoted text - and insert more quotes. But there's lots of little things.
    It's just so damn... useable :-)

Sounds great to me. (Almost) anything is better than the state this forum is presently. At least I've found a use-case for Falkon, as it's the only way I can use these forums these days.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Well... we already have the license for the new Vbulletin. The issues for whatever reason is installing/setting it up. Using Xenforo would not change this.

One thing (among many) I particularly like is, you're writing a post, someone else posts, you get a little box saying "someone just made a post in this thread, would you like to see it?
      We do/did have that feature. I believe this, along with some other settings/extensions, have been disabled for the moment, and/or are broken.

Comment

I'm an admin on a Xenforo forum but I preferred KubuntuForums.net under VBulletin BEFORE our current set of problems. Yes, Xenforo works, but I would pick VBulletin if given the choice.

If the newer VBulletin can be installed, I would like to see how close it is to the current version.

It's up to the site owner and the admins, but this is my 2 cents worth.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Thank you TWPonKubuntu.

I know that having to live with the current state of KFN is frustrating to everyone. I'm frustrated. I'm positive that our Host, Open Source is as well. From what I can see, the new version of vBulletin has been installed on our server. What I'm told by Open Source, is that he is having some issues getting it configured properly. He will figure it out, I'm sure.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry all! The new version is in the works. As soon as I get it working fully, we'll migrate over and get these issues behind us! Thank you for your kind patience.

Comment

Server has been upgraded and we are working through the template to make it look good.

Comment

Good.
                Please remember to add the "What's new" section back, especially "New posts". :·)
                "Today's posts" isn't nearly as good.

Also... where's the "advanced" part of the editor? For example, say I want to wrap "console" tags around some text... Now I only get a little "preview" window.
                Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Oct 15, 2021, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                  Good.
                  Please remember to add the "What's new" section back, especially "New posts". :·)
                  "Today's posts" isn't nearly as good.

Also... where's the "advanced" part of the editor? For example, say I want to wrap "console" tags around some text... Now I only get a little "preview" window.
                  All the settings and options need to be gone through, and likely some addons added, I am sure.

sudo make me a sandwich

Works here, the '$' button

As does the usual '#' button

Code:
                  $ which one -is_real
                  Oh... the A button on the top right toggles the editor
                  Last edited by claydoh; Oct 15, 2021, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Ah, the $ button is now sitting all alone in the middle of "hidden" buttons - like the debutant... er well :·)
                    Yeah no, I'm sure things will be as good - and better - than before... I just hope suggestions are useful.
                    So, where's the "strikeout" format then ;·)

Comment

there are buttons in that long box, missing icons atm. Hover over them to see a highlight describing them.

s and /s ( enclosed in [] ) are the standard bbcode tags for strikeout... lets see if that invisible S button works.....yuppers.

Image/attachments are not working yet
                      Last edited by claydoh; Oct 15, 2021, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Temporary glitches, I'm sure. It's now really fast and seems to be working really well.
                        Much more seriously, your https certificate just expired, and I had to set my clock to yesterday to connect :·)

Comment

Testing attachment uploads.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Image insertion test.Click image for larger version  Name:	wallpaper2you_312383.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.5 KB ID:	657208

Comment

Everyone should keep in mind, that a lot of the customizations we had in vBulletin 4.2.5 were from MODS written for 4.2.5. From what I see by looking in AdminCP > Products & Hooks, all of those MODS don't exist; they were not compatible with vBulletin 5x. I expected that.

It is going to be a slow process getting up to speed on using vBulletin 5x. If you don't come at it with a vBulletin 4.2.5 mindset, you'll be less likely to become frustrated. This is a new platform. It looks different. Its features are different. It doesn't have everything you were used to in the previous version. I've gotten our badges back to being displayed. One small step.

Not all the Smilies for use in posts are displaying. Not sure why, as others are, just not all. I've asked a question about that on the vBulletin 5 forums. Waiting for an answer.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X