Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are these forums so horribly broken?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, the forum has been basically unusable for me with Firefox, so I switched to Chromium (to come here), which is still buggy, but at least it?s usable. (I still get a DB error message every time I post a comment, e.g., but then the comment will show up when I reload the page.)

What?s a much bigger problem for me is the lack of consistent UTF-8 support. Whenever I post a message (even in an ?advanced? editor), all non-ASCII characters are replaced with question marks, and I then have to fix this manually (by editing the post.)

edit: it happened again. While composing and in the preview, all the quotes and apostrophes looked fine. But after posting, only ?s.

Comment

Yea seems like some kind of forum software version upgrade is likely required, which, I believe was mentioned above or in anther thread are coming eventually.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

It's still doing it.
        It really does seem to have to do with "page changes" though.
        Like a thread changes page, it gets stuck at the one before.

Comment

Originally posted by revmacian View Post
          1. I get a "Database error" every time I make a post. The only way to see the post after it's made is to refresh the page.

2. I cannot access any page beyond the first page of any thread. I tried to add "/page2" at the end of a url and this makes the url end with "/page2" but I'm still looking at page one.

3. I was responding to the thread entitled "Common Sense", but I'm out of this conversation because I can't access page two of the conversation - everything I try keeps taking me back to page 1 while the url reads "page 2".

I hope someone can answer my question before it changes pages.. otherwise I won't be able to follow from page 2 onward.

I'm using Kubuntu 20.04 with all default software.
          I am having the exact same problems, as above, also I can't get to page 3 on this thread. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...hift-yet/page3
          Linux since 2008, Kubuntu 20.10
          *ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
          *AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
          *G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM -- Asus GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4 GB

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
            Yea seems like some kind of forum software version upgrade is likely required, which, I believe was mentioned above or in anther thread are coming eventually.
            Some of the best running forums are using Xenforo, it behaves well on the desktop, and on a phone browser.

https://xenforo.com/
            Linux since 2008, Kubuntu 20.10
            *ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
            *AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
            *G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM -- Asus GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4 GB

Comment

Hi
              I'm running FF on Kubu 19.04 and have had zero problems. I don't post much but do pop in.
              woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi
                It took four times, I think, to log in today, the message was that I had logged in before.
                woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Same issue still persists. Can not get beyond page 1 of most threads. Therefore I deem these forums utterly broken atm. What all is involved in the upgrade?
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I get the database error message, but my posts go thru without issue. Kubuntu 20.04 LTS and Firefox 88.0

Comment

Working...
                    X