This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KubuntuForums and ZB-Block

Hello! I'm the code maintainer for ZB-Block, which is used on KFN to block hackers, spammers, undesirable spiders/crawlers, and other connections of dubious intent from reaching the site. Not only do these connections waste server resources, but they may constitute a privacy risk for individual users, as well as a security risk to the site itself.

First of all, I would like to offer my apologies to anyone who experienced a false positive due to ZB-Block, or had issues reporting their false positive to the site administrators. Older versions of ZB-Block expected certain conditions or prerequisites, at both the server level and on a visitor's machine, that aren't industry-standard anymore. For example, clicking a mailto: link -- not everyone has an email program/app set up to use it. If you have an email client configured, it may or may not pass along the information ZB-Block attempts to attach to that email.

Snowhog passed many of your issues and concerns along to me these last few weeks, and I have updated ZB-Block to address your complaints. The updated code will be released to site owners/administrators in the next few days.

But not everything will be "fixed". If you come to this site through a proxy or VPN service, that connection may be blocked due to the amount of spam, hacking attempts, and/or other undesirable behavior seen from that connection. It's not you, but the people who have abused that connection in the past and will continue to abuse it in the future, that cause proxies and VPNs to be blocked.

Other potential issues that will not be "fixed": obsolete browsers, image and/or text harvesters, unwanted spiders/crawlers, connections with a history of spammer activity, and any connection that appears to be hacking the site.

The error message ZB-Block provides should give an idea where the problem is. If it's something within your control (such as updating your browser or using a different internet provider), go ahead and make that change, then try again.

If you can't figure out the problem from the error message ZB-Block provides, please let Snowhog know:
    a. if the screen shows a link to submit a Trouble Ticket, please do so. If the link doesn't open your email client automatically, please manually email the address shown on your screen -- and attach a screenshot of the ZB-Block screen, so Snowhog can see where the problem is.

b. if the screen gives you a form that asks your email address and other details, please complete that form. Once you click "Submit", you should see a confirmation screen.

Depending on where the problem lays, your issue may be resolved within a few hours, or it may take a day or two. Please allow at least 24 hours for your issue to be addressed once you submit the Trouble Ticket (by email or through the on-screen form), because let's be honest: you're not online 24/7. Neither is Snowhog, nor am I. Allow sufficient time for Snowhog to see your Trouble Ticket and look into it, time for him to reach out to me if necessary. Patience is your friend.

Things that don't help:
    a. posting about your ZB-Block issue on the forum. Posting your Trouble Ticket details, such as the IP, may violate your privacy -- but Snowhog may not be able to resolve your issue without those details.

b. not submitting a Trouble Ticket (either by email or the on-screen form, depending how Snowhog configures it).

c. continuing to access KFN from the same blocked device or connection. Bots keep trying regardless, hackers try to find other ways in. ZB-Block adapts to the situation at hand, and if you appear to be hacking or DDoS-ing the site, you will block yourself from seeing KFN at all.

d. not waiting 24 hours for someone to see your Trouble Ticket and do something about it. Trouble Tickets are not Captchas; submitting one does not magically "let you in" to KFN.

Things that do help:
    a. submitting a Trouble Ticket the first time you see a ZB-Block error screen, unless you can resolve the issue on your own. Snowhog can't fix a problem he isn't aware of.

b.if you are on a paid proxy or VPN service, let Snowhog know. Neither he nor I can see whether a proxy or VPN connection is "free" or "paid", all we have are IPs. If you can advise which of your service's IPs are "free" and which are "for paid subscribers only", Snowhog can configure ZB-Block to allow those IPs in. Or he can forward the list to me, allowing me to code exceptions for the "paid" IPs into ZB-Block.

c. if you have set up your own proxy or VPN service, let Snowhog know. ZB-Block has blanket blocks for many other webhosts and cloud services, so your service may need to be whitelisted even if your IP(s) are "clean".

d. if you are on an unusual or obsolete device, or run a non-standard or obsolete browser, let Snowhog know. As much as he'd rather you not run IE 8 on Windows XP, if that's the only way you can get online he'll find a way to let you into KFN.

e. if you are on a brand new device or connection and find yourself blocked, let Snowhog know it's a new device or connection. A previous whitelisting might not apply anymore, only Snowhog can rectify it.

KFN's site administration team, and I personally, want your experience on KFN to be a good one. Please help us help you, by following the guidance above.
    Last edited by ZB-Block-JamesC; Mar 30, 2019, 12:08 AM.

Hey Snowhog - I received an error within Chrome when I tried to preview my post before submitting. Also, the submitted post displayed as raw HTML rather than BBCode ... I edited to make it legible.

Chrome 73 (current) on Windows 7 32-bit. Have you seen this problem before?
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for your efforts, they're much appreciated.

Where I've got unstuck in the past is Tapatalk. One does not get the screen with the trouble ticket link on Tapatalk, it just gives an error, which it can do occasionally anyway. I'd been blocked several times before I ever saw the ZB Block page.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by ZB-Block-JamesC View Post
        Hey Snowhog - I received an error within Chrome when I tried to preview my post before submitting. Also, the submitted post displayed as raw HTML rather than BBCode ... I edited to make it legible.

Chrome 73 (current) on Windows 7 32-bit. Have you seen this problem before?
        I don't use Chrome, so I can't comment on this. There are other members here in KFN who do, so...

I have to believe that it has nothing to do with our site, but with Chrome itself.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
          Where I've got unstuck in the past is Tapatalk. One does not get the screen with the trouble ticket link on Tapatalk, it just gives an error, which it can do occasionally anyway. I'd been blocked several times before I ever saw the ZB Block page.
          Hi, John. Thank you for your patience as Snowhog and I worked out a solution to the Tapatalk issue.

One of the causes of that issue, if he didn't mention it, was the Tapatalk app's inconsistency in identifying itself. I expected a particular format (per Tapatalk's support forums) but sometimes it identifies differently, making it appear as a bot instead of a human connection.

There was also an issue in what Tapatalk (on the server) was doing.

And I never realized this until Snowhog provided the logfiles, but Tapatalk's central servers reach out to the individual websites that run Tapatalk.

With all these factors at play, Snowhog couldn't simply whitelist your IP and move on -- there were several things involving Tapatalk that needed to be addressed if ZB-Block is to be "compatible with Tapatalk".

Hopefully they're all worked out now. Have you had any Tapatalk issues on this site in the last 4 weeks or so?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            I have to believe that it has nothing to do with our site, but with Chrome itself.
            Evidently so: https://www.chromium.org/developers/...ts/xss-auditor

I may have triggered it by accident -- my original post had more bold and a bit of red, which are fine in BBCode. But by the time I added words in "double quotes" (see what I did there), and the editor passed it back to vB as raw HTML, Chrome could have seen my preview as an injection attempt.

I wont worry about it, but if you want to split this off to its own thread, it might help someone else with the same issue.

Comment

Thank you James, for the initial post in this thread. Well stated, and very much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by ZB-Block-JamesC View Post
                ... Have you had any Tapatalk issues on this site in the last 4 weeks or so?...
                No. My last trouble six weeks ago was using the PIA VPN, and on only one of their servers, not using Tapatalk. So I just connected to another when I wanted to access KFN.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

My last trouble six weeks ago was using the PIA VPN, and on only one of their servers [...] I just connected to another when I wanted to access KFN.
                  Thank you for mentioning your VPN provider.

I took a quick look at PIA's website and configuration files. Their NZ connection point was used for spam several months ago:
                  https://stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/103.231.90.172

An adjacent connection (which may or may not be associated with PIA) was spammy in November through January, clean for February and March ... then someone abused it within the last day:
                  https://stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/103.231.90.171

PIA's Sydney connection point has a similiar spam issue:
                  https://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL1667660

Melbourne and Perth come up clean today, but that could change in the future. If it does, they will be blocked too.

That's the problem with proxies and VPNs ... Snowhog doesn't know who is using a connection until they log in; someone hundreds of km away could be spamming other websites on the same connection you use to visit here. If they do, your connection risks being blocked because of their behaviour.

I suggest (in the long post at the top of this thread) that anyone using a proxy or VPN tell Snowhog that they do, so that he can configure ZB-Block accordingly. This way, if a connection turns up on a blocklist in the future, KFN members can still access KFN.

You may have advised Snowhog of your connection six weeks ago. I'm not trying to nag you specifically, and I apologize if my words appear that way.

I am simply trying to advise KFN members how to avoid common issues, so that they don't find themselves blocked for reasons that have nothing to do with them personally. An "ounce of prevention" sort of thing.
                  Last edited by ZB-Block-JamesC; Apr 01, 2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I've just today hit a block that started on Tapatalk, using my usual ISP. In Tapatalk it just said "loading..." with the android spinning wait thingy. My phone was connected to my Wifi. I tried a few different servers with PIA and no access, trying the PIA Auckland, Sydney, and US West servers.

Trying on Kubuntu and firefox "Error 503 : Service Temporarily Unavailable". No trouble ticket page. I tried a few other PIA servers, and their US - California has let me in and type this reply, with IP 91.207.175.175.
                    Last edited by jlittle; Apr 03, 2019, 01:32 AM.
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

I thought it might be useful to list the PIA servers I was blocked on, with the IP I came out on. However, I'm now not blocked on any PIA server I've tried just now, including at least three that were blocked this afternoon. Still blocked without using the VPN, from Vodafone on 118.92.13.88.

The exact text I see is "Error 503 : Service Temporarily Unavailable". Maybe I'll correct that in my previous post.
                      Regards, John Little

Comment

When 503's are seen, I have to clear out the blocked access files, which I just did after seeing your post. Try again please.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          When 503's are seen, I have to clear out the blocked access files, which I just did after seeing your post. Try again please.
                          Thank you, I can now access KFN from Kubuntu without using the VPN.

Tapatalk still didn't work. I've just "unfollowed" and tried to log in again, with the password I've checked works from firefox in Kubuntu; it says "Network error, please try again later. (login)". I'm happy to continue without Tapatalk.
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

Thank you, I can now access KFN from Kubuntu without using the VPN.

Tapatalk still didn't work. I've just "unfollowed" and tried to log in again, with the password I've checked works from firefox in Kubuntu; it says "Network error, please try again later. (login)". I'm happy to continue without Tapatalk.
                            ditto here. no tapatalk for me either.

Comment

"Network error, please try again later. (login)"

That isn't a ZB-Block message. Tapatalk itself might be having issues. Have you contacted their support?

Comment

Working...
                              X