Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IP address blocked. I don't understand why.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IP address blocked. I don't understand why.

Hello. I'm having to post this from my phone. When I try to log in from Firefox, I get the error "The address you attempted accessing Kubuntu Forums . Net from was blocked due to reports of malicious behavior... etc,etc,etc Generic bot detection: 404 (UA.G1)"

Why am I seeing this. I've never done anything strange on this forum. Could it be a Firefox add-on?

I sent an email to a blocked@kubuntuforums.net, but I don't know if that inbox is monitored. I can't log in from my desktop or laptop at home, but I can log in from work and over my cell data connection.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Sorry, I didn't see your email until this evening. I've answered it.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi
      Well I apologize that your question has not had a response.

I will assume that the letters "UA" mean that User Agent, which is the "thing" that is between you and the internet.

what "kind" of user agent that G1 is I was not able to find.

And also the "404" does not seem to be associated with anything that I chanced across although I didn't spend hours looking for it.

So lets parse what you posted.

A) the post that you made for here was using your cell phone? Is that correct.
      B) the next sentence you hop to "try to log in" but do not say what device you were using. SO I ASSUME that you were not using the phone but were using your trying to get in using your desktop or laptop at home (from the last sentence).
      C) you say that you can "log in from work" and "over my data cell connection".
      The sentence structure is ambiguous.
      i) are you saying that you can log in "from work" I assume using the destkop at work
      or
      ii) are saying that you can log in "from work" using your data cell connection.
      or
      iii) are you saying that as a seperate instance, again, that you can log in using your cell phone?

Given the above it would seem that your "situation" is with both the laptop AND the desktop at home.

THE FOLLOWING IS JUST STRANGE...The particular WORDING that KF.N "WAS BLOCKED DUE TO REPORTS".

So, speaking particularly about the home computers...

Are you saying that you had the SAME MESSAGE pop about KFN on BOTH THE LAPTOP and the DESKTOP?

If that is correct then we would need to know the operating system on both of the computers, and whether you are using some kind of firewall, etc. Or is one maybe a Kubu system and the other a Windblows sstem?

If the OS on BOTH computers are exactly the same and both are popping the same message then it "may" be that the situation is the firewall, etc.

OR...

If there are two DIFFERENT OS then it would seem that there is some kind of "router firewall" if you are working through a router, and that the firewall is producing the message.

However, if you are going straight pipe with CAT cable to "the internet" somehow then that put is back to the OS on the computers or...

it may be that your "cable company" or whatever has some kind of "firewall" maybe in the "cable router box" and that is popping the warning.

Basically the good folks here need some more information, if you could provide that then I am sure that one of the waaaay more experienced folks will pop in and offer a fix.

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

LOL i make a BIG LONG POST puffing a lot of hot air and in the midst of it Snowhog answers the question!

Good job Snowhog!
        woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by bradleypariah View Post
          [...]Generic bot detection: 404 (UA.G1)"

Why am I seeing this. I've never done anything strange on this forum. Could it be a Firefox add-on?

I sent an email to [removed] but I don't know if that inbox is monitored. I can't log in from my desktop or laptop at home, but I can log in from work and over my cell data connection.
          Bradley -- is this resolved for you? If it isn't, please clear the DNS Cache on the affected device(s).

The root cause of this issue was a bug in ZB-Block. I failed to anticipate that a particular datapoint might contain '404', so ZB-Block thought your connection was a bot that crawls the 'net looking for 404 pages ... and you obviously weren't doing that.

It wasn't anything to do with your connection or browser. The false positive was my mistake, and I am sorry for any inconvenience it caused.

Comment

Working...
          X