This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EMOJI and site Icons issue

Hey when I try to add an emoji from the web-page native selector the text shows but no pic in preview or post.

As well the Icons for the buttons don't always show.

Click image for larger version

Name:	noemoji.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	649356
    Last edited by phonic-otg; Jul 25, 2018, 06:45 PM.

My first impression would be that it's being caused by the Theme you are using (causing the Iconized Menu entries to not display the Icons). As to smilies not showing in the post itself, click on the Go Advanced button then scroll down the page a tad to Additional Options. There, ensure the Disable smilies in text box is unchecked.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Got it.

Comment

Are the selections for links and emojis checked by default? As when I start or respond to a thread they are checked. Is there any way to have them unchecked?
        During the thread creation one may preview where during the load of the preview page one finds the boxes are auto checked again. Do I have to adjust some setting for my profile?
        Last edited by phonic-otg; Jul 25, 2018, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by phonic-otg View Post
          Are the selections for links and emojis checked by default? As when I start or respond to a thread they are checked. Is there any way to have them unchecked?
          I've tried, but without success. I went so far as to ask about this on the vBulletin forum, and got answers and suggestions as to what to edit/change, but it never worked as I expected. Something about this particular 'feature' seems to be 'hard coded', that, or the answer on how to make it work exactly as I want (and you too) has yet to be found.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thinking outside the box, Unicode has emojis now, and the default font on 18.04 and firefox for KFN has some of them, f.ex.

😀 1f600;grinning face
            😁 1f601;grinning face with smiling eyes
            😂 1f602;face with tears of joy
            😃 1f603;smiling face with open mouth
            😄 1f604;smiling face with open mouth and smiling eyes
            😅 1f605;smiling face with open mouth and cold sweat
            😆 1f606;smiling face with open mouth and tightly-closed eyes
            😇 1f607;smiling face with halo
            😈 1f608;smiling face with horns

Not as nice as KFN's own I suppose.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

@jlittle: That's a cool alternative!

I knew there were all sorts of things in Unicode fonts, just never thought of using that method. 😁

OK, it's taken me a little while to figure out how to input these characters. I found and installed KCharSelect 😎 (which I guess is the KDE equivalent of the Windows program to do this, I can no longer remember its name 😕).
              Last edited by Rod J; Jul 26, 2018, 10:37 PM.
              Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
              Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

kcharselect has improved from when I last looked at it, very good for some uses.

I keep a copy of UnicodeData.txt from unicode.org handy, sometimes a linear search is useful. 600-odd new code points since I last downloaded it in February, they don't stand still.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by Rod J View Post
                  @jlittle: That's a cool alternative!

I knew there were all sorts of things in Unicode fonts, just never thought of using that method.

OK, it's taken me a little while to figure out how to input these characters. I found and installed KCharSelect (which I guess is the KDE equivalent of the Windows program to do this, I can no longer remember its name ).
                  Those look identical to some of the emoticons on my iPhone 6+.

I installed KCharSelect emoji. I did find BW symbols, which become colored when pasted into this post:

��

EDIT: The color disappeared after I posted. Then, when I saved this edit the icon was replaced with two question marks.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 27, 2018, 09:08 PM.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

After downloading http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/UnicodeData.txt, I run this vim one-liner on it:

:%s/^\x\+/\=nr2char(str2nr(submatch(0),16)). ' ' . submatch(0)

to see the glyphs (if the font supports them).
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

All nifty.

Comment

Working...
                      X