Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When I receive a notification of a reply to message the conversation to which it refers is not linked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I receive a notification of a reply to message the conversation to which it refers is not linked

I think the last round of site updates was very good. There is one oversight I think could be addressed though, when a email is received advising a reply to a post the thread to which it relates is shown but not linked. Although not a major issue linking it would be helpful.

In the screenshot the yellow highlight advises the thread address but is not linked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kubuntu.png
Views:	195
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	670397

What email client are you using?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Vivaldi, though that is not the problem as I have the same result with Chrome and Firefox. I double checked and discussions from Github are linked for example.
      Last edited by shag00; Apr 25, 2023, 08:23 PM.

Comment

We're now on 5.7.4 as of today. Let's see if that resolves the bug. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by shag00 View Post
          Vivaldi, though that is not the problem as I have the same result with Chrome and Firefox. I double checked and discussions from Github are linked for example.
          Works for me (Apple Safari browser). I just received an email notification from KFN less than an hour ago, and the discussion link (to this thread actually) is hyperlinked as it should be.

Do you have any extensions and add-ons in Vivaldi that might be affecting how links in emails are displayed?

Comment

I can see no change, I still need to highlight the address and right click > go to address XXXXX, I have checked on multiple browsers. On Vivaldi the only extension I have installed is X-notifier which just notifies me when an email is received.

Comment

Which mail service/web client, though. Maybe they are inadvertently scrubbing it, perhaps? Just a stray thought.

Comment

I just use whatever the browser comes with as standard, I do not customise or change anything. In the case of this email account it is just accessed through a browser (hotmail). The problem appears to be an issue with this site as many other sites work as expected.

Comment

In the case of this email account it is just accessed through a browser (hotmail). The problem appears to be an issue with this site as many other sites work as expected.
                  Or something in the chain between KFN and Hotmail. Multiple mail servers, etc ad nauseum. (Outlook, really). Again, as a stray thought. Troubleshooting may be somewhat difficult. And mail servers are alien to me.
                  I have swapped to an Outlook email address for my KFN notifications, not sure if there is a difference between Outlook.com and Hotmail since everything Hotmail related takes me to Outlook.com There shouldn't be.
                  Last edited by claydoh; May 23, 2023, 06:39 PM.

Comment

As long as I actually turn all notifications on, lol. Maybe I will see some soon.

Comment

So far, this is *only* happening in outlook/hotmail. I am collecting more messages using different services and providers.

May be relevant, but is older:
                      https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-1c0bdb3c06a6
                      No idea if or how this works in automated email systems, or if it is even relevant here at all.

Comment

All I can say is the issue isn’t originating with KFN. I would ask your ISP if they are affecting how email content is handled before it is delivered to the client.

Comment

I am on my third email service, including my own provider (Ionos), and only the hotmail/outlook/live.com are doing this.
                          Their service doesn't like something that *everyone* else has no problem with.

However manually typing a message with a url to an outlook email, I can't replicate it in the formatting

Outlook/Hotmail

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230523_211454.png Views:	0 Size:	58.9 KB ID:	671041
                          Gmail

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20230523_211225.png Views:	0 Size:	60.7 KB ID:	671042

My domain service's email:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230524_075347.png
Views:	137
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	671044
                          Last edited by claydoh; May 24, 2023, 07:23 AM.

Comment

I'm seeing this issue as well using the web client for ProtonMail, particularly with the account activation link I just got an hour ago. I'm not gonna attach a screenshot to that since I'm not sure if those numbers are some sort of hijackable token, but it's exactly the same - not hyperlinked. Forwarded the email to my Gmail and it works.

I'm noticing a bit of a pattern here though, and it makes me agree with Snowhog that it isn't a KFN bug. I also had this issue when getting a reply on a Twitter support case, and then another on a link to a survey from my housing complex. However, I didn't get the issue on emails from GitHub, Ancestry, Zoom, or some musicians' newsletters I'm subscribed to. The common denominator? The first group just pasted raw text that matched URL syntax, but the second group used actual hyperlinks.

This makes me think the pattern matching for URLs might be broken (or absent?) for Outlook and ProtonMail. At that point, I guess the solution is to open a support ticket with the email client's devs.

Comment

So it seems it is Microsoft/Hotmail and not KFN. I forwarded my last notification email to a gmail account I have and sure enough the link was present.

Comment

Working...
                              X