Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't view an old thread. Help, please!

I can't view an old thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...gure-Shortcuts. Has it been lost?
    Last edited by chimak111; Nov 17, 2021, 11:08 AM. Reason: added [SOLVED]
    Kubuntu 20.04

Not lost. It's a permission issue. We are only allowing View access to the last three EOL releases. You should be able to access the Thread/Post in your link. I'm not at home right now; having my morning coffee. I'll look at the permissions for these three EOL release forums when I'm back at the house.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for looking into this. Currently, I see
      Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page. For assistance contact the site administrator.
      But I can see why restricting viewership of posts for really old versions makes sense seeing how rapidly things change.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

It's sorta a long story, but we have forums and their sub-forums for Kubuntu going back to Dapper Drake. That's a lot of forums, and when they were all available for viewing, it made viewing the main forum on a small format device (mobile phones specifically) extremely frustrating for many. We can't just remove these older forums, as that would affect every members post counts, something we don't want to do! So the solution is to prevent (hide) most of them from being displayed here. However, one is supposed to be able to get to them (to view only) IF they know the exact URL.

So a question for you: When you attempted to get to the post in question, did you do so from outside of KFN, i.e. not logged in but having done a search on the 'Net and clicking on an offered link? If that was the case, you would be denied access. Guest or not logged in members (same as a guest) aren't permitted access to these particular forums.

Comment

The permissions for these three EOL forums/sub-forums are correct. Any registered KFN member who is logged in can access the content.

Comment

Nope, I'm logged in, but not allowed access to the OP link.
            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              It's sorta a long story, but we have forums and their sub-forums for Kubuntu going back to Dapper Drake. That's a lot of forums, and when they were all available for viewing, it made viewing the main forum on a small format device (mobile phones specifically) extremely frustrating for many. We can't just remove these older forums, as that would affect every members post counts, something we don't want to do! So the solution is to prevent (hide) most of them from being displayed here. However, one is supposed to be able to get to them (to view only) IF they know the exact URL.

So a question for you: When you attempted to get to the post in question, did you do so from outside of KFN, i.e. not logged in but having done a search on the 'Net and clicking on an offered link? If that was the case, you would be denied access. Guest or not logged in members (same as a guest) aren't permitted access to these particular forums.
              Because I couldn't find the thread using the forum's search, I used Google from the browser's address bar (site:kubuntuforums.net dolphin duplicate shortcuts) which gave me the link I posted in post #1.

Yes, I did then click on the link via Google and got the access denied message. But then I pasted the same url into the address bar of the browser tab where I currently logged into KFN. Still no joy.

Anyway, I dug out the bug I filed at the time.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Okay. I 'see' the issue. Working on it.

Comment

This should now be resolved.

Comment

Thanks!
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

A lot of things work differently in vBulletin 5x. Administrative management is different in a lot of respects than how it was done in the previous version (4.2.5) we were running. I think I have a thing right only to realize via friendly posts like yours and others, that it isn't. This was one of those things. But again, thank you (and the others) for bringing matters like this to my attention.

You find 'em and I'll do my best to fix 'em.

Comment

Working...
                      X