This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Paid Subscriptions - PLEASE READ

With the upgrade to vBulletin 5x, the Paid Subscriptions feature seems to have been severely modified by the developers, and it isn't anything I can modify.

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front): Purchasing a Paid Subscription you already have, that has not yet expired, doesn't extend that subscription by another 12-months; it replaces it.

Example: You have a Sustaining Paid Subscription that has two months left before it expires, and you purchase it again. Prior to vBulletin 5x, that subscription would be updated to reflect a 14-month period before it expires (2 remaining months plus 12 months for the new subscription). Not the case in vBulletin 5x. You loose that remaining two months and simply get a 'new' 12-month subscription.

I'm saying this because this bit me. I thought my Paid Subscription had expired (it was a long day, and it's a long story, so won't bore anyone with it). It hadn't, but I thought it had, so purchased it again. I'm not complaining about the extra purchase. I have no problem helping to support KFN financially. But when I did realize what I had done, I checked the status of my Paid Subscription. It reflected an active period of 12-months from the date of he new purchase.

Just be careful when making a Paid Subscription. I don't want anyone to feel slighted by thinking they were extending an existing, unexpired Paid Subscription by purchasing it again, only to discover that the remaining time they had didn't get added.

Caveat Emptor
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes
  • Answer selected by Snowhog at Sep 18, 2022, 01:29 PM.

Update (Aug 12, 2022)

It appears that this issue has self resolved. I say that because we are still on vB 5.6.4 and haven't applied any updates since installation, yet the problem, based on my re-purchase of a Paid Subscription this morning; same level I already have that was due to expire Oct 15, 2022; was properly updated to reflect a new expiration date of Oct 15, 2023 (the start date remained unchanged).

So, you should feel okay about 'renewing' an existing, unexpired Paid Subscription if you want to do so.

Comment

This is very helpful information, Snowhog. Thanks for posting.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Update (Aug 12, 2022)

It appears that this issue has self resolved. I say that because we are still on vB 5.6.4 and haven't applied any updates since installation, yet the problem, based on my re-purchase of a Paid Subscription this morning; same level I already have that was due to expire Oct 15, 2022; was properly updated to reflect a new expiration date of Oct 15, 2023 (the start date remained unchanged).

So, you should feel okay about 'renewing' an existing, unexpired Paid Subscription if you want to do so.

Comment

Snowhog, where am I on this -- mine expired from last year? and I have not renewed it after that? I guess for 2022?
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Well, that raises a different issue with Paid Subscriptions.

All of your 'listed' Paid Subscriptions on your Profile (as seen in the Admin CP) are expired. Yet, the associated Additional Usergroup(s) for each Paid Subscription, and thus, the displayed badges, aren't being removed, which results in those badges not being displayed.

I'll raise that as a separate issue. Grrr!

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              Snowhog, where am I on this -- mine expired from last year? and I have not renewed it after that? I guess for 2022?
              I've manually removed you from the Paid Subscription Additional Usergroup which was displaying the badge.

I've check other members who had Paid Subscriptions, but are expired and have not purchased a new one. They aren't in any Paid Subscription Additional Usergroup, so they aren't displaying any badge.

I wonder if this was, for you; your KFN account; a vestige leftover from when your account was experiencing issues?

Comment

I renewed. It is not real clear how to use credit card rather than PayPal, except I just kept clicking forward until the button to choose finally appeared! NBD though.
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                X