This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for New Users

Firstly, congratulations OpenSource and everyone who contributes to these forums. They are an invaluable source of information when trying the learning curve that is Linux.

I don't know much about the internal working of things, but I have learnt in the last 12 months where to find very helpful information. When I am able to help someone with a problem, usually it is just to point them in the right direction. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to have a little section that would draw a new user's attention. In it would be links, and a little explanation, to at least three places that I often refer people:-

Aysiu's wonderful psychocats site

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

The Ubuntu unofficial wiki:-

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper

And thirdly, though I've never used it myself (it wasn't around while I was struggling) but everyone seems to find it invaluable - how to install Automatix. It probably should be first on the list

http://www.getautomatix.com/

Perhaps there could be a couple of other references in there, like hermanzone for people trying to partition etc, but a lot of new users problems can be fixed using advice from these 3 sites.

Just a thought, it may save a lot of people a lot of searching when they are new at this.

Cheers

Lowey

I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: Help for New Users

Also don't forget to check out the 'Kubuntu Desktop Guide'
    Offline:
    K-Menu>Help>Kubuntu Desktop Guide
    Online:
    http://doc.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/desktopguide/C/index.html

Comment

Just the type of site that I was thinking of to be included. Thanks, Kubicle. Any piece of advice we can give to new users will save a lot of confusion and a lot of repeated posts.

Cheers

Lowey
      I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Well i could create a module on the fron page. A place for beginners to find helpful sources. It would be like the Top Sites page, Review page, etc. Instead it would say Beginner Help or something. Is that what you had in mind?

Comment

I got to thinking about it, we could just make a sticky in the beginner forum with all those handy links.

Comment

Hi, Open Source

That sounds like a good idea. It's where new users look, isn't it, and they could find the help they need quite quickly.

Comment

Just as an afterthought, perhaps the beginner forum could be put at the top of the page, just to make it a little more obvious to new users. (I have a huge soft spot for new users, seeing as I still are one. It's so challenging taking on a new OS and any way we can make it easier, the better.)

Cheers

Lowey

Comment

There is already a sticky in the Newbie Forum so it might be best for you to add any information you think is important to the already posted topic. As far as moving the forum goes, I don't think it would be wise to put it above the general forums. Does anyone have a better idea that won't conceal or effect the other forums?

Comment

I didnt take the time to read more then the opening and the last (sorry my bad) but i think that og writer is write well maybe. let me just say that a section that deals with area's to go to get info would be good. more throughur then the sticky. or at the very least the sticky be updated and tested more throughurly. I think that it should be a section or a post like the sticky that is maintained "cleany" so that it dosnt turn into a mess. this is just my thoughts and it could make switching over to kubuntu for less resourceful peeps such as my self easier

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts, empcrono.

The sticky is a really good thought, but is so cluttered, out of date and to a large extent, hidden away. And I don't mean to ****bag daredevils efforts, either, it's pretty much what is needed.

I just thought that if there was an "IN YOUR FACE" place to put a few simple links for new users, it may save people a lot of time and aggravation looking for a solution to a simple problem. I'm sure that's what was intended by the original idea by daredevil, but as I said earlier, there are a couple of sites that explain so much to new users that should be in a more prominent place.

And thats all I have to say about that! (OK, that's Stone Cold Steve Austin, not me)

Cheers

Lowey

Comment

Working...
                    X