Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on Edit timeouts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any thoughts on Edit timeouts?

It might be nice to have a time limit on post edits, say 1hr or maybe 4hr. The openSUSE forums has a limit @ 10 minutes which is annoying right off but you actually get used to it and it leads to less confusion and more easily followed dialog/thought process.

Nah.
    If I decide to "wax eloquent" and write a long screed then I usually compose it in KWrite and when I am satisfied I'll copy and paste it into a msg block.

However, most of my comments, like this one, are short, if not sweet.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      "wax eloquent" and write a long screed
      I was more referring to the situations where:
      1) Some hours after a post from "A" then "B" suggests a command or solution.
      2) A then edits the original post some hours or days later to reflect the new situation they have discovered via the post from B.
      3) B post is left dangling (dangling modifier anyone?) and from a reader perspective is confusing.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      However, most of my comments, like this one, are short, if not sweet.
      Me too, usually. lol well except for the sweet part.....
      Last edited by anika200; Nov 05, 2014, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I would prefer to NOT have timeouts on my postings.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I believe that we have a timeout set, but don't remember how long......

.....checks

I don't see a specific posting time limit option, but Vb has a poop-ton of option settings. Looks like 15 minute cookie timeout (inactivity). I see no need to change this, as there have been very few, if any, comments on this setting.
          Last edited by claydoh; Nov 05, 2014, 08:01 PM. Reason: strike out irrelevant stuff

Comment

Time limit on edits? or time limit to make a post? Very confusing thread! Not at all clear. Don't go back and edit your posts now ... !
            In any case, I find any time limits--especially on editing your post--to be a PITA.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

IMO, there are circumstances in OS support forums where an edit of an old post can be a very good idea, to avoid disaster.

Regards, John Little
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Again, are there any complaints? I've not hears anyone complaining about timing out, at least not since we moved to Vbulletin.

Heh I finally found the proper settings section. There is no time limit on editing a post.
                Last edited by claydoh; Nov 05, 2014, 07:59 PM.

Comment

I don't see many people editing their OP after a useful response, but I can see where that may be an issue.

What would be a realistic limit for editing a post, and why?

Comment

Is there, among the poop-ton of options, one to only allow adding a correction?
                    Maybe similar to the strike through claydoh just used?

In other words, a system whereby the original post is still traceable.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      Is there, among the poop-ton of options, one to only allow adding a correction?
                      Maybe similar to the strike through claydoh just used?

In other words, a system whereby the original post is still traceable.
                      No, unless there is a custom plugin for it. I think that would be a bit complicated to set up.

SO the real question is:
                      Is there an actual, consistent problem with things here in KFN as they are currently set up?

Comment

IF one doesn't have cookies permitted for our forum, then there is a 15-minute inactivity timeout limit. Editing a post isn't seen as activity. If one finds that when they go to post something they have been working on for more than 15-minutes, and find they have to log back in, they don't have their browser set to allow cookies from us.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          IF one doesn't have cookies permitted for our forum, then there is a 15-minute inactivity timeout limit. Editing a post isn't seen as activity. If one finds that when they go to post something they have been working on for more than 15-minutes, and find they have to log back in, they don't have their browser set to allow cookies from us.
                          I believe the discussion concerns a time limit on editing one's post, not on overall session timeouts. It is to force, say, an OP from editing the top post as others post below with assistance, potentially confusing people. It forces one to create new posts, keeping things linear.

Comment

I have no problems with the current situation but do know some people's reply have been caught out by a change in the original post.
                            For me not frequent enought to request a change of policy.

Comment

I have read a post or two where the OP was edited and made subsequent posts appear nonsensical. IMO, the real solution is not to time limit postings but the OP use proper editing techniques by marking through the old text and adding the new.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X