This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

host a challenge

on my site MakeTheBestOf, i recently posted a small challenge for my readers and i think this forum should do it too. I just told people to start a live usb on someone else's computers with their permission and post a pic. kubuntu's my favorite so i keep a live sd and show people all the time.

Is that http://makethebestof.weebly.com?
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
      yes it is. Sorry about that

Comment

That's a cool site! I like your pug

I find that this tactic works pretty well for me: people come to me and say something like "my windows has slowed down loads and I think it may have a virus".

So, I do what I can to clean it up a bit (not much, since I don't know much about Windows) but also ask them if they would like to try Kubuntu as well, without removing windows so they can always go back to it if they like. So, I install Kubuntu alongside it, transfer all their files, extract their product keys for MS office and install it with Playonlinux, turn automatic security updates on, install Chrome (easiest way to avoid flash hassle)... and let them get on with it.

They now have a choice between Windows and Kubuntu, and most stick with Kubuntu because they don't want to get another virus / don't really trust Windows any more.

Linux neatly sidesteps most of the social engineering malware that these friends tend to get (because they don't read popups and just click yes or type their password), not because it's inherently more secure against this kind of attack but because the payload was designed for Windows and just doesn't run...

The other classic is when people bring you a laptop running XP and you explain that you can either buy a new computer / pay Microsoft £80 every few years for a new version of Windows... or just run Kubuntu for £0 and you'll be fine until the hardware actually wears out.
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X