This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems Registering and Logging In

You appear to have a serious bug in your registration and login screens. I was unable to register or login on my Gentoo Linux box running Opera version 10.10 build 4742 (backup machine used because Naughty Narwhal broke the network connection on my laptop). My partner had to create the account for me and login using her Macintosh running Firefox. When I attempted to register, using my Gentoo box, I repeatedly (10+ times) got returned to the registration screen after filling everything out and hitting Submit. I did not get any form of error message saying what was wrong, just a blank registration screen saying to fill this out.

My partner was able to go in with her Macintosh and successfully completed the registration screen on the first try. After getting the confirmation email, and clicking on the link, I was able to login, which put me on the main index page of the forum. When I went to the Narwhal network help page to post about my network problem, the system seemed to forget that I was logged in, and displayed the Welcome Guest, please sign in or register, at the top of the screen. If I hit sign in, I was able to login properly again, which brought me back to the main forum index page, and the cycle would repeat.

Again, my partner was able to login using her Macintosh, and enter this message and the message about my network problem for me.

I find it annoying that the forum can recognize and support a proprietary OS but not a competing Linux distro.

Please try to fix this.

UPDATE:

I investigated some further, and found that I did not have cookies enabled on the website. When I enabled the cookies I was able to stay logged in properly. It would be helpful if, when you have a problem with cookies or lack thereof, you show an error message rather than just going to another screen. I suspect this was also the reason I had trouble with registration, but since the account is now created, I don't have an easy way to verify that.

ART

Re: Problems Registering and Logging In

It is clearly due to disabling cookies (tested it myself), and it has nothing to do with whatever OS or browser someone is using. Even thinking that we detect and block a particular distro is simply ridiculous.

I don't think the SMF software can detect if cookies are turned off without someone writing and incorporating a script to do this. I don't see this feature on other forum software I have looked at either (not that I have looked too deeply) So I will assume that the problem is not that common in general.

I must say I think you are the first person I am aware of who has had this problem, actually. But something to look into nonetheless.

Comment

I guess we (are you listening OS?) could put a clear notice on the Registration page that Cookies must be enabled. A lot of sites that require cookies to be enabled do this.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, sorry for the confusion, but I don't think I've ever encountered a forum that was so totally dependent on cookies before - most seem to work at least partially without the cookies, or so it seems.... It probably also doesn't help that it has been quite a while since I used this machine w/ Opera. The strange thing is that Opera didn't seem to ask me about accepting a cookie either, which I thought I had it set up to do....

At any rate, glad I was able to figure it out. Now if I could just get Naughty Narwhal to work with the network on my laptop (I have a post on this over in the Narwhal network subforum...)

Comment

I added a statement to the first line of the agreement text.

Comment

Working...
          X