This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the purpose of this forum?

When clearly the normal ubuntu forums gives more than is needed pertinent data related to Kubuntu, and ultimately Ubuntu itself?

Ill be asking the admins here this question.

Where's Zack Brantley when you need him, I swear.

The purpose is to help kubuntu users

These forums are used for asking questions and getting help with Kubuntu. Linuxquestions.org has information for kubuntu as well, so what is the purpose of the kubuntu portion of that site... There are many sites with information about kubuntu. Aren't they all helpful. Also see this thread for more information http://www.kubuntuforums.net/forums/...hp?topic=509.0

I think we have had enough questions about why kubuntuforums.net is here. The answer is simple, to spread linux by helping its users. Kubuntuforums.net is here to stay so help support it by answering users questions not by debating the purpose of it.

Thanks.

Comment

Re: The purpose is to help kubuntu users

Originally posted by Open Source
      These forums are used for asking questions and getting help with Kubuntu. Linuxquestions.org has information for kubuntu as well, so what is the purpose of the kubuntu portion of that site... There are many sites with information about kubuntu. Aren't they all helpful. Also see this thread for more information http://kubuntuforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=15

I think we have had enough questions about why kubuntuforums.net is here. The answer is simple, to spread linux by helping its users. Kubuntuforums.net is here to stay so help support it by answering users questions not by debating the purpose of it.

Thanks.
      i see 2 problems here, (i am going to post this in the ubuntuforum too)
      1. the fragmentation of the community and the waste of resources.
      2. the need for the users to duplicate the searchs and posts.

we all know that without a strong community there couldn't be a strong distro and here we r splinting it, i think. (and i am not a zealot, i am just a end user , so i need the strong community in order to leech it better lol)
      yeah, you are right that in every linux forum there is a section for kubuntu and for ubuntu (i think generally they are the same section) but those are linux forums, not distro realated forums.

so, anyway this is not about debating the purpose of the forum but to get both of them working better, right?

my to little ideas:
      a. both forums talk a nice chat and mix them in one distro forum
      (k)ubuntuforum or kubuntu/ubuntuforum or whateverforum
      with 3 big sections: a distro-realated / and 2 desktop-related
      and we all look for the same things in a logic way in one big place richer and greater and glorious lol

OR

b. both forums have a nice - long chat and see the way to get working the search tool so not matter where i make the search i get the results from both forums at the same time and i don't have to do 2 searchs and post 2 threads and duplicate my efforts.

you should think that (k)ubuntu is just one distro, and the bigger part of solutions for things will be the same for both desktops.
      just the command like to use gedit or kwrite will change.

following my b. idea i hope one day g4l will have a search that look in every linux forum for related threads. lol, so i could get the threads from linuxquestions without having to read 3 forums every time. (i am registered in some 8 or 11 linux forums) is like time consuming , what you say?

I forgot to say that i am a (k)ubuntu user. yes kde but my distro is (k)ubuntu
      yhotg<br /><br />--------------<br />dibl&#39;s Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs

Comment

I have to say I was one of the first ones on the Ubuntu Forums to object to the new Kubuntu Forums, but I was soon won over by reason and older, wiser forum members.

In one sense, it is fragmentation and a waste of resources--seeing as how they're both the same distro, but having different desktop environments means having different issues.

At first I thought, "Hey, all the HowTos are the same--you just change gedit to kwrite," which I still think is true for the most part. I mean, to add extra repositories... they're the same repositories, and you still use sudo.

But KDE users will have more KDE-related problems and deal more with KDE applications, which do not necessarily behave the same way when used in Gnome (God knows AmaroK doesn't work properly in Gnome), and a HowTo on turning on NumLock at login in Gnome is very different from a HowTo for doing the same in KDE.

I'll hang out here and see how it goes. I'll still be in the Ubuntu Forums, too (if they ever come back up), but for a lot of things, I'll still be linking to the Ubuntu HowTos and guides. I've found even the "Take Back the Firefox and Thunderbird Icons" script works for Kubuntu (with the exception of refreshing the Gnome panel).
        Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

I too have been a long time user of ubuntu forums (well about 5 months anyway) and am afraid that by splitting up the kubuntu from the ubuntu forums the (k)ubuntu distro is going to lose some of its strength.
          For me personally it's going to make it harder to find the answers I need I guess because now I will have to go through two forums instead of one.

As I already on ubuntuforums, sofar I've been able to solve just about all my questions by using answers and solutions provided on ubuntuforums, but for the time being I'll definitively will keep an eye on both forums

dont get me wrong, im not trying to bash kubuntuforums because the more information and the more support the better, but i'm just afraid that this move might not help (k)ubuntu in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by aysiu
            I have to say I was one of the first ones on the Ubuntu Forums to object to the new Kubuntu Forums, but I was soon won over by reason and older, wiser forum members.

In one sense, it is fragmentation and a waste of resources--seeing as how they're both the same distro, but having different desktop environments means having different issues.

At first I thought, "Hey, all the HowTos are the same--you just change gedit to kwrite," which I still think is true for the most part. I mean, to add extra repositories... they're the same repositories, and you still use sudo.

But KDE users will have more KDE-related problems and deal more with KDE applications, which do not necessarily behave the same way when used in Gnome (God knows AmaroK doesn't work properly in Gnome), and a HowTo on turning on NumLock at login in Gnome is very different from a HowTo for doing the same in KDE.

I'll hang out here and see how it goes. I'll still be in the Ubuntu Forums, too (if they ever come back up), but for a lot of things, I'll still be linking to the Ubuntu HowTos and guides. I've found even the "Take Back the Firefox and Thunderbird Icons" script works for Kubuntu (with the exception of refreshing the Gnome panel).
            I'd have to say I disagree.....Ubuntuforums already has a Kubuntu subforum which caters to all the KDE needs. Most of the problems have to be dealt with on the command line, and that remains the same in Kubuntu and Ubuntu. The few problems that are different for GNOME and KDE can be discussed in the kubuntu subforums there. Making a separate site is simply dividing the resources. eg: If I decide to stick around here, I'd have to check the Ubuntuforums as well as this site everyday, Many users would simply choose one over the other.....and if that happens both forums lose out. Besides, since Ubuntu has more users than Kubuntu (I think...), we stand to lose out....

Comment

I see one of two things possibly happening:

1. Almost every Kubuntu and Ubuntu user stays for the most part at ubuntuforums.org. Kubuntuforums.net gets absorbed into ubuntuforums.org as an expanded version of the Kubuntu subforums.

2. Lots of new Kubuntu users get attracted to and become the support base for these Kubuntu forums.

Either way, everyone wins. There isn't going to be a major split. The moderators at the Ubuntu Forums aren't having an argument about "Should we stay or should we go?" Neither are most of the users. Some users, like me, hang out in both forums.

If these forums are to thrive, though, they need to attract users who would otherwise not use Ubuntu at all but somehow find the Kubuntu forums a good place to get and give help. If things stay as they are, these forums will just be absorbed into the Ubuntu Forums.
              Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Re: The purpose is to help kubuntu users

I guess we should stop this "why this forum exist or not" chit chat. If you guys still want to argue, check this link we don't need two threads running for the same thing.

Originally posted by Open Source
                Open Source has said enough,

Thank you
                cheers!
                -=|From the desk of|=-
                «•´`•.(*•.¸(`•.¸ ¸.•´)¸.•*).•´`•»
                «•´¨*•.¸¸whoiam55.¸¸.•*¨`•»
                «•´`•.(¸.•´(¸.•* *•.¸)`•.¸).•´`•»
                Reg. Linux User # 400637

Comment

Working...
                X