X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Work together with Ubuntu forums

Hey,

I think you should contact the ubuntuforums.org guys and ask them to send you the theme they are using.

I think you should as well use vBulletin as they do. Then you can modify the ubuntuforums.org Ubuntu theme to make it look more Kubuntu-ish (use the kubuntu.org website to get inspiration - ask kubuntu website designer to do it)

Then you will have a nice forums site, which may later be integrated in ubuntuforums.org...

If you want your forum to catch on, you have to do that...

Thanks for the input

I have talked with kubuntu.org and I am probably going to start using some of their graphics. I will see about working with ubuntuforums.org. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Re: Work together with Ubuntu forums

I second this !

I am registered at Ubuntuforums, mostly to post in the Kubuntu forums. But then it feels weird to know that the kubuntu community is split in two forums. I think we need to consolidate these efforts

In particular, the Tips and Tricks section over there is very complete and professional. New tips are moderated to ensure quality. And the best tips are consolidated into more official documentation. But this mostly Ubuntu oriented in Ubuntuforums. Still, there is good Kubuntu material.

Just yesterday I spent half an hour posting a tip and trick in ubuntuforums, and then I realized I should/could have posted it here. But then, one only has a limited amount of time.

To be specific: would it be possible to send the user from one forum into the other, or to consolidate efforts somehow ?

In particular, the domain www.kubuntuforums.org sends the users to a kubuntu forum in www.ubuntuforums.org correct ? Should it not be sending them to www.kubuntuforums.net ? It is confusing to have the .org and .net for kubuntuforums pointing to different places.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the hard work !

Cheers

Comment

That is correct kubuntuforums.org goes to ubuntuforums.org.I have talked with ubuntuforums, and they weren't digging this site too much. They have done port scans here that I was not supposed to know about. Anyhow after hearing about their admin chatting, I am not too fond of working with them. Thanks for the ideas about tips and tricks though.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, and I am sorry about the lack of cooperation So, I guess this means there is no other way to go than posting in both sites, or choose one or the other

Yeah, organizing Tips and Tricks would be great !

Comment

lmilano, I've personally found that this site offers the most reliable and accurate help for kubuntu apps, which is why it was needed IMO.  Afterall, you have hundreds of dedicated KDE users sitting right here.

Multiple forums are kind of like having several car repair shops around town.  It's nice to have those options, and surely, you would prefer taking your Chevy to a licensed GM mechanic before a general mechanic, right?  I pass no judgements on either forum, but in my experience (like searching for a reliable chevy mechanic) this forum offers me the best for my Chevy, err, KDE...

Stick around and help us improve as it continues growing a lot.  I've been here only 3 months and have seen some really nice changes.

Comment

When this forum first started up, I thought it would fragment the community.
              I thought it was a bad idea.

Guess what.

Nothing happened.

The Ubuntu Forums are still the Ubuntu Forums. No one's left the Ubuntu Forums. They're still great for supporting Ubuntu users. Unfortunately, people there tend to assume you're using Gnome unless you specify otherwise (every post starts sudo gedit instead of sudo kwrite). And if you post on the Kubuntu part of the Ubuntu Forums, you get less help or less knowledgeable help.

These forums aren't great... yet, but they're getting there. They're helping people, and that's what matters. I think the layout is a bit of a mess on the main forums page, but otherwise, it's good.
              Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

Thank you all for the answers/thoughts. In the end, it would be great to have official forums hosted by Canonical, at least IMHO. Publicity could be used to help them pay the bills.

A major reason to use K/Ubuntu is the simplicity of the OS, the ease of use, and the quantity and quality of the documentation. Like here:

http://www.kubuntu.org/docs/kquickguide/C/index.html

It is for this reason that I think that a unified, official Forums site for each Version (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu) would be great.

Oh well, I'll stick around

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                  It is for this reason that I think that a unified, official Forums site for each Version (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu) would be great.
                  The Ubuntu Forums site is the unified, official forums and includes Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Edubuntu... well, in theory. In actuality, it's skewed towards a Gnome desktop with KDE as a second-class citizen.

That's why I'm glad these forums are around... and seem to have a better up-time!
                  Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

You eventually do reach a point where you saturate your audience with information overload.  Forking in linux is a natural progression, albeit in software or even a forum.  So, it should be expected, and encouraged, which I believe Ubuntu proper (aka Mark and gang) do.  Diversity is always welcome and who here would argue for one unified linux distro?  Same thing with these forums.

As a project manager in business before, from my experience I would have forked that forum some time back; simply for three reasons - organization, focus, and management.  GM diversified it's lines some time ago for very similar reasons, and they are independent entities as well.  Mad props to OS and others for recognizing that need.  Plus, as aysiu points out, some relief of ubuntuforums.org bandwidth issues can be addressed here...

Comment

Working...
                    X