This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New?

Looking at many pages of the forum, it seems that almost every topic has the "New" icon appended.

New is helpful to people who browse the forum and want to see the new topics added, but to look at something dated 2007 in 2009 could hardly be described as new. It there a time limit when new becomes not new?

Does the word "new" mean that the subject is a new subject, or, does it mean that the post is within the last m months or d days?

Please consider a time limit, so that older topics do not have the word "new".
    If every topic, or the vast majority, have "new" then the truly new topics loose their newness because the older topics have the same label.
    HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Re: New?

On the forums, "new" is in the eye of the beholder. If YOU haven't looked at a particular message, it's labled "new". The forum indices, give the date of the last message in each thread. Just ignore "new" messages that are too old, for your taste.

If you're interested in "new" messages that have been posted since you last visited the forum, click on the link on the top right of the page called "Show unread posts since last visit."

Comment

Also, if you want to clear the new icons from old posts, you can do this also:

Click on the Show unread posts since last visit link at the top right of the forum, while browsing, or New Posts in the forum menu at the top left collapsible menu that's visible on the home page and auto-hides everywhere else on the forum. Once on that page, you can click mark as read, which is to the top right of the message listing, and that should clear the new marker from everything for you. From there on, you shouldn't see any more of the really old new markers.

I find the most efficient way to browse this forum is to just visit that page straight off, skim through the list of new topics since my last post, then hit the mark as read button before I leave. I think the forum should clear those new markers for you between visits, but it makes me sure I've cleared everything if I hit the button, or if I do that before browsing for something specific so as be able to notice new posts made since I did my swing through that page.

Comment

Many thanks for clarifying that. Your replies were helpful.
        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
        X