X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hot topics

Hi OpenSource

So, how about adding a visible link (I know, there are three already) , along the lines of:

Show hot topics

Where you can see the topics (threads) with higher posts in the last, dunno, 24 hours, maybe 48.

This is nice when you come to the forum to see "what's up lately"

Cheers!

Re: hot topics

Would that be based a certain number of replies, or just the highest number in the past 24-48 hours whether it be 1 reply or 100?

Comment

Good point, it's probably a matter of playing a bit. I'd say new posts.

The spirit would be: someone comes after a few days, and want's to see what's hot. Kind of what are people talking about. Maybe some new software, important release in some related sofware, Kubuntu alpha/beta release, etc. In this sense, I think 3 parameters are relevant:
      • Time frame. Last 24 hs ? Last 48 hs ? etc. I'd probably vote 24 hs.
      • Number of new post to the topic in the last  N hs (24, or whatever timeframe)
      • Number of views to the post in the last N hs.

Personally, I would do a weighted average of the last two numbers for each topic

Code:
      w = (total number of posts in the forum history) / (total number of views in the forum history) 

rankingScore = w * numberOfNewViews + numberOfNewPosts
      Tipically , people visit threads more than they post, so w will be something like, I don't know, 1/10 or something. You need to estimate it only once, and maybe update once a month, or once a year ...

How does it sound, is it feasible ? (of course, similar ideas would work too, this is just one possible implementation)

Thanks for ALL your work !

Comment

Just got back from paintballing. It was a great time.

Anyhow, I think you are on to something there, and maybe a poll would be helpful to figure out how to set it up.

Comment

glad you had fun

Yeah, a poll could work, although there are so many options that it's a bit complex (combinations of parameters, etc.). I can put a poll together, or maybe it's better if you do it, you know what you can technically implement ... either way, just lemme know

Comment

Working...
          X