This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rearrange?

Okay, I know this is your site, Open Source, but I have a few ideas.

First idea for improvement... use my graphics as soon as i finish them! haha.
    Oh, and give me as many project/graphics as you need.

On to the real business.

When I get to the forum, I have a whole screen of nothing. I've got roughly 1/2 of my screen blank. Literally wide open space. I understand from a design perspective, it looks good. You've layed out the modules in a very balanced manner. From a content perspective, I'm feeling a bit annoyed that I need to scroll down just to get to some real content. I already know I'm going to be scrolling through posts, don't give me more scrolling than you have to

That being said, here are a few ideas:

1) I will do a new banner/header for the site. I'll make it crisp clean and between 2/3 and 1/2 the current size.

2) Take a poll maybe, but is the Last Shout necessary? Half the time I can't even tell the context of the post. It doesn't tell me the subject. I have a link to the unread posts since last visit... seems redundant.

3) News-- didn't I get my news on the home page?

4) Important links-- Notice how much space they're taking up? 2 options: a) take each link and left justify one, center the second, and right justify the third. b) bump it into the same cell as the 'Hey *username* you have 0 messages..'

cutting things down at a rapid pace! I'd like to take a moment to remind you these are simple suggestions. I'm not familiar enough with PHP to know if all of the suggestions are even possible.

5) kudos on the expanding side bars... I'm not sure I've seen that on any other forum. very nice touch.

6)... oh. nevermind. I think I'm done now.

btw, I do appreciate your work. I think the site is great. These are just minor things I think would make the forum a little more pleasing to most users.

brb.

Re: Rearrange?

and just to give you and idea:

BEFORE: scroll up to the top and see how much of my first post you can read

AFTER: see attachment
    Attached Files

Comment

it has come to my attention that some of the 'open space' at the top of the forum is actually populated by ads. I have an edited host file which blocks those ads. Perhaps some of my suggestions are not so 'do-able' in light of this. Hm. Perhaps just lookat the comments and see if there's anything useful.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I will take a look at making changes when I get home, however I am out of town right now, and I broke my arm. So using a mouse and typing is kind of complicated.

Comment

sorry to hear about the arm! I hope it's not giving you too much pain... and if it is, I hope you at least got a cool story out of the deal

Comment

I was snowboarding and hit a ramp, didn't land right, fell down and broke my arm. I wish it was on camera, except the landing sucked.

Comment

As soon as you can get some graphics uploaded the better. My desktop just crashed, the motherboard is fried, so it is hard to work on the site right now. I think deleting the administrative announcements would be a great idea, but what about the kubuntu announcements should those be moved to the home page as well? Battery is dead, will check back later.

Comment

hm. I'm not sure what you mean by the administrative announcements vs the Kubuntu announcements. Also, it looks like I misunderstood the idea behind the shoutbox... Is the 'last shout' what you mean by the Kubuntu announcements? Maybe you can clearify what you meant for those two things. Or perhaps just make it your call. Simply ask yourself: Is this content the user needs/will want to see when (s)he is looking at the forum? Or will (s)he look for the information on the Home page if they desire the information?

I have uploaded a new header in the Art forum-- in the header thread. Like it says, it's a mockup and I can make any adjustments you like. I'll try to get some various icons and other graphical elements worked up by the end of the week--most likely by thursday night. I want to get your opinion of the header so I can get a feel for what themes I should incorporate in the icons.

link to header: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=353.15

btw, have me give you a full res version of the header if you like it. I had to cut WAY back to meet the maximum attachment size restriction.

Comment

one other quick note, the site looks slick with the light blue color used as the background for the header area. No need to separate the row with the Home|Forum|Blog|Image Gallery|...etc buttons. But I would probably bump the graphical ad out of the header row and move it down to where you currently have the forum member info "Hey, <username>, you have 0 messages..."-- in other words, keeping all ads in the same row. Then move the forum member info across from the important links section as seen in the screenshot I put together above.

When you don't keep ads concentrated to one area, it takes more time for the viewer to differentiate content from ads.

More suggestions... I know you have a full plate. Sorry to hear about the desktop... don't go DFI on the new mobo. Been having a frustrating experience with one of their Lanparty boards. These ideas are just here for when you get around to 'em. Hope you don't mind me praying for you. Sounds like you've had a rough and rather frustrating past few days.

Comment

okay, I figured out what you meant about the Administrative announcements vs the Kubuntu announcemens. heh.

Actually, I was never thinking you needed to modify the available forums. Although that's another option to minimize scrolling.

Gosh, we are lazy these days aren't we? Minimal scrolling is something everyone prefers. Even after mouse wheels and various other quick scrolling tools, we still want less...

Comment

I just got out of surgery and am still feeling a bit woozy. They put pins in my arm that will be removed later. thanks for praying ericesque. as soon as i am able, i will work on the site.

Comment

pins in the arm just sounds awful. My german teacher in highschool broke her wrist on a class ice skating trip. She had to have screws put in her arm that stuck out perpendicular to her arm. Then those screws were connected by a bar that ran parallel to her arm. It was pretty messed up. I can't imagine looking at my arm and seeing metal screws going through my skin and into my bone.

hope you heal up quick! Did the doc give you an ETA on when those pins come out?

Comment

4-6 weeks. just in time for motorcycle season

Comment

haha.

Have a pic of your bike somewhere?... oh! just remembered in your blog-- that's not you at the top is it?

under further scrutinization (sp?... word? ) no offense, but I'm going to have to guess no. Post some pics somewhere.

Comment

I will get a pic soon of my bike. I started rearranging the layout a little. Tell me what you think. Last shout, keep it or drop it? Keep in mind last shout is not part of the forums.

Comment

Working...
                              X