This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

logging in from two computers

It seems that cookie issue works now, but not completeley. Here's my problem:

I frequently access kf.net from 2 different computers. One of them's a dual-boot machine, therefore I have 3 different cookie stores.

Whenever I log in the first thing I do is to use the "Show unread posts since last visit." link. When I log in using another cookie store than I have been using at the login before, this doesn't work anymore. The list of "new posts since last visit" is empty. I always have to follow the "View all unread posts" link to get the proper list of unread topics.

A second bug triggers when use the "Show new replies to your posts." link. After having had a look at all the replies, opening then in a new tab each, I use the "Mark as read" button to reset that list. However, that marks ALL forum posts as read, not only the replies to my posts. It seems there's no way of doing just that, either.

Re: logging in from two computers

I will check into it when I get back from visiting my father. He just had open heart surgery, so I will be gone for a few days. Sorry I can't look into this now.

Comment

Take your time, best wishes to your father. I hope he will be alright.

Comment

To give a wee update, I discovered that the "View posts since last visit" link doesn't work at all, not even when I re-login from the same computer. The list of posts I get is always empty.

Regards,
        Dominik

Comment

Sorry I actually forgot about this post. What browser(s) are you using? This problem is probably related to the timeout issue, meaning this may be cookie related.

Comment

This happened with firefox 1.5 on windows. Strangely enough, I get a non-empty "posts since last visit" list with firefox 1.07 on kubuntu.
            That list is also correct, i.e. only lists the posts since my last access that I did with ff1.5/windows.

Cheers,
            Dominik

Comment

I can confirm the same exact issue today, I logged in from work, (XP/Firefox 1.5) and got no new posts, but here at home it seems fine (Kubuntu/FF 1.0.7)

Comment

Could this be because you have two different cookies? so when you log in to a new computer, its a new cookie with no new posts?

Comment

Hmmm, I just logged in on my kubuntu machine and the list was empty again. It seems that now alternating logins work (more or less), but loggin in from the same machine twice breaks it.

Btw, the forum s/w should not use the cookies to determine when the user was last logged in. It should use an entry in its sql database instead. That way the information is centralised and the system works reliably accross different computers. Cookies for forum should add some convenience to the user so that he doesn't have to type in passwords all over again.

Regards,
                  Dominik

Comment

Thats what I figured, but I just thought I would throw that idea out there because I didn't write the s/w. I will check the database to see whats going on in there.

Comment

Working...
                    X