X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gutsy forum poorly constructed

Hi, the gutsy forum seems poorly constructed and implemented:-
    For instance it puts recent comments to existing threads that are NOT resolved on page 2 where they are less likely to be seen which is not good at all.
    It also puts two headings under edgy eft, a bit offputting, so I guess the forum is pretty Alpha like Gutsy.
    Not good if you folks really want feedback I must say!
    Best
    El Zorro 8)
    It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Re: Gutsy forum poorly constructed

For instance it puts recent comments to existing threads that are NOT resolved on page 2 where they are less likely to be seen which is not good at all.
    I suppose that results from the underlying logic that reading the question first in all its detail and then reading the different answers that result in effort to help is easier and makes more sense than reading the last answer first and then reading through all the previous answers to find what the question was.

As far as edgy posts go, maybe someone just happened to post their thread in the wrong place. It happens. I wouldn't call this forum "alpha"
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The "architecture" of subject matter and threads within subjects is the same for Gutsy as it has "always" (for the past year, at least) been for prior Kubuntu releases. Including the occasional mis-post by Forum members in a hurry.

ElZorro, that's pretty harsh criticism -- certainly you are entitled to express your tastes and preferences for design and navigation. I'll bet Open Source, our volunteer administrator, would be happy to accept volunteer assistance with the job, if there is a strong consensus that the design is flawed. Personally, I'm accustomed to it and don't find any difficulty with navigation. But, again, it's really a matter of taste, isn't it?

Comment

First, this is a Forum owned and maintained by Opensource. How he wants it configured, is in large part, up to him. But he does listen to constructive observations about suggested improvements. That said, what ElZorro is referring to, is the narrative descriptions of the sectins within the Gutsy forum. See below. The child board descriptions on some, refer to Edgy, not Gutsy. This happens when an existing forum board is 'copied' for use as a new board, but not all the descriptions get updated.

As to ElZorro's complaint of replies showing up on the second (or higher) pages. That is easily fixed by going into his Profile and going to Look and Layout Preferences and checking Show most recent posts at the top.
        Attached Files
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanx for the feedback snowhog, did not know observed order of posts could be configured in profile to suite individual taste.
          The edgy eft headings are a bit offputting though.
          Someone does not like my criticism though, have I perhaps made history by getting a kudos of -1 as if it matters at all anyway. Guess I made an impression, but it is unlikely to have a positive outcome.
          Cheers
          El Zorro

Originally posted by Snowhog
          First, this is a Forum owned and maintained by Opensource. How he wants it configured, is in large part, up to him. But he does listen to constructive observations about suggested improvements. That said, what ElZorro is referring to, is the narrative descriptions of the sectins within the Gutsy forum. See below. The child board descriptions on some, refer to Edgy, not Gutsy. This happens when an existing forum board is 'copied' for use as a new board, but not all the descriptions get updated.

As to ElZorro's complaint of replies showing up on the second (or higher) pages. That is easily fixed by going into his Profile and going to Look and Layout Preferences and checking Show most recent posts at the top.
          It should be as simple as it can be, but not simpler than it should be---Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for letting me know about the Gutsy description errors. I do in fact copy the forums whenever a new version of Kubuntu comes out. I must have forgotten to change those particular descriptions.

Comment

Working...
            X