This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MK Portal

I am thinking of installing mkportal on the webserver. This will create an easy interface for not only forums, but for uploading images, files, etc. It will also allow the site to expand in the future, since it would be more of a homepage than the current index page. There is also a module for creating your own blog (like there aren't enough sites for that already). If you are curious about this software take a look at all of the features at http://www.mkportal.it/. If anyone has any other suggestions for other software, let me know.
    Yes
    0%
    No
    0%
    Don't Care
    0%

Re: MK Portal

Also, you could integrate a new posts column? As suggested in this thread
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

I am working on the new posts link now actually. I hope to work on it this weekend and get it implemented. Thanks for voting.

Comment

When can we expect to see this implemented? Also, can we have some teaser screenshots to subsudise the wait ?

Comment

I will implement it as soon as we have some more votes either for or against the portal. I have no screen shots available, however if we get a few more votes for "yes" I will implement it this week. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow night.

Comment

Maybe you should post it under the important links section, or under the news section, so more people will see it. I don't think very many people scroll all the way through the forums.

Comment

I was going to install it today, but after trying it on a test forum, we might have a theme/template issue. I am going to look into it, so it might not be this week that I get it installed. As soon as I know we can overcome this issue, I will post in the news section about the poll (I am waiting to post it in news because there may be better portal software that will integrate better, and share the theme better).

Comment

looks good, Patrick.  The only problem I see so far is that when I click to "forums" they get thrown in the middle frame and it squishes it up a bit (even on my 1280 screen).

just one bug found so far: when I first login it gives an error then I go back and try again and it works.

by the way, after I hit preview for this post, this is what happened to my screen (squinched even more)...

...and i'm on latest konqueror.

Comment

Ok here is what I have found. I can make it so that when you click on forums it opens in a new window, however I think a better solution is to collapse the side bars using the arrows at the top. That way when you need the links, you can uncollapse them and the links will be right there. As for the error in logging in, I think it has something to do with http://www.kubuntuforums.net and http://kubuntuforums.net notice the www. I will see about that issue.

Comment

Looks good. Just need to fix the session id value from not being passed to the portal. Otherwise one must have cookies enabled to login to the site.

Comment

Please don't take any offense, but I think this new portal sucks.

I don't need another website with shiny useless extra features for blogging, galleries and whatnot. This is a help forum website and it should stay that way. Other features can be dealt with by already established websites, I don't think there's any need to duplicate them here.

Not to mention that annoying problem with www and not www. I can already anticipate different cookies being stored for each url, upsetting my read/unread markers and whatnot. We had this before and we're having it again. If you can't get this to work why don't you simply disable either one of the urls?

I'd recommend to do some more testing, possibly on a mirror server of this page, before implementing big changes like adding this new portal thingy. I recon there'd be enough people here who would help out with beta-testing stuff if asked to.

Regards,
                      Dominik

Comment

Thank you for your input. I agree some features are useless, or repetitive, however the main reason I added this portal was to have room for expansion. The image gallery is great for those who want to upload pictures/screenshots and the downloads section can be used for people to upload scripts and programs that they have been developing and would like to share. I would like to remove the Kubuntu Testimonies forum and let users post reviews in the review section. That way they can let others know the problems they had with a particular model of laptop, wireless card, etc. I might delete the Kubuntu Announcements forum and just post future announcements in the news section of the homepage. Also adding such features will hopefully make kubuntu forums grow which will only increase the information base here. For example, most users ever online was today, 166, only only a small portion were members, the rest were guests. This tells me that others are interested in the site. If there is a consensus to remove the portal, I will do so, or if there are certain features that just get in the way, post a poll. That will tell me what to change. The www issue doesn't seem to be giving errors now. It appears that it does store two cookies but I am working on that.

ATTENTION KF USERS: Please post here if you feel we should remove the portal. It is only there to help, so if many of you don't like it, let me know and I can take it off. Thanks

Comment

Thx for your reply. I appreciate your efforts improving this website. If you really want evolve this site into a fully fledged kubuntu portal, it might by worthwile contacting to jonathan riddell in order to find out how this site could be integrated into the official kubuntu site, I think both sites could complement each other quite well in the future.

Btw, I can confirm the two cookies bug. Loaded the page from my bookmarks (without www) then clicked the link to the forum. I was still logged in but clicking on the "view posts since last visit" button did not show any new posts.

Comment

I think I fixed the cookie bug. Try clearing your cookies and then log in from either address.

Comment

Working...
                            X