Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to store old laptop post transition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[LAPTOP] How to store old laptop post transition?

Even though I have this awesome new Kubuntu system, I want to keep my old laptop around in case this computer breaks.

What's the best way to store an old laptop?

If I leave it fully charged, turned off, unplugged in a closet, is that a good way to do it?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

Personally, I would not store it for any length of time with a fully charged battery. If you are not going to use it, having a fully charged battery connected could be bad news. At least remove the battery, if you can, or let it go down if you can't. Nothing will get hurt by not having power. Store it so that it will be protected from dust.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Why not keep it going? By that I mean ... leave it around, perhaps plugged into power but turned off; now and then, turn it on, let it boot up fully for some minutes, then shut it down. Fwiw, I leave my desktops and one laptop running all the time, 7x24. Powering up yours once a week for a few minutes will not hurt it; but will kind of keep it refreshed, maybe, sort of.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Old computers are pretty much worthless, especially if they have problems. I have one I use just for Windows, I drag it out a few times a year. Otherwise I give them away, usually to a thrift store.

Comment

I have an old Toshiba Satellite laptop, it works, but as a 32 bit machine it has limitations in today's world. In its day, it was a pretty good machine with an average to fair display. It is heavy, at 6 pounds, but kind of stylish. It's sitting in my closet right now, in a bag, not gathering dust. The screen is 15.4" and is only spec'd at 1280x800, so not that great, but it is very clean with maybe a dropped pixel or two. It could be useful with a Raspberry Pi.

I hate to take it apart, but the Pentium dual-core T2080 @ 1.73 GHz is hardly a powerhouse anymore. Yeah, Goodwill could probably make a few bucks from it, and someone could actually be happy with it. Not worthless, but with some utility left, and I do need to upgrade my Pi stash
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

It is not a bad idea to have a "back-up" PC/laptop, just in case something very weird stops your working machine. I had that happen a few years ago: a sudden power outage caused some very weird damage -- PC would not boot. (Rx was to re-flash the UEFI-BIOS! b/c video firmware was affected). My backup PC saved the day, old hardware, old Kubuntu, CRT terminal, etc. BUT it got me through, where I managed to repair the main PC.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Actually, that is a good idea, and in addition to the Toshiba, I have a desktop unit that is no more than a couple of years old, so that unit is my backup. The Toshiba looks more like RPI food every day

Comment

Working...
              X