This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accessing HFS-plus file systems?

I am not a transitioner, but I have a question that may be useful to folks transitioning from Apple systems.

An attorney I am working with has all her files backed up to an external drive, which I presume is HFS+ file format (she is a macbook user).

I can plug the drive in, see the folders, but when I open up her backup of her "home" partition, I get an error message that the computer cannot open that directory.

I know that it is not a permissions issue, because another colleague who has a mac can open the files.

see if you have "hfsutils" and "hfsplus" installed .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK I installed them, how do I use them?

Comment

Logout of the Desktop session and log back in. Plug in the drive in and see if you can now access the folders/files from Dolphin.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No change from pre-installation: I can get down to the individual users, but can't get into folders like "documents", in fact Dolphin can't even tell me how many items are in them.
          Attached Files

Comment

So I installed "hfsutils" and "hfsplus", but it doesn't seem to make any difference; I still can't access the files.

Comment

you may also have to install hfsprogs if it did not get pulled as a dependency.
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I opened up Muon and installed everything that seemed even remotely related to the HFS file format, then restarted the computer; still no dice.

Comment

just to read the file should have been no problem , support for HFS and HFS+ has been in the kernel it's self for some time .

it may be the journal is on and active , but that should not be stoping reading of the files , just writing.

have your friend with a mac turn off the journal and see if that helps .

see ,,,, https://askubuntu.com/questions/3323...t-access-to-os

and similar searches

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                  X