This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to work KNotes' display?

I've been reading KDE's KNotes Documentation and have learned that it keeps them hidden. Why? I'd like to have a file-browser-like display of all of my notes because, after I will have imported all my Gnotes and Tomboy notes, if that's possible (I sure hope so), I'll have a library of them and would like to go to any folder to see its contents, as well as to arrange (& rearrange) the folders. I see KNotes' context menu does have the entry "Show all notes," but my clicking it yields nothing, and I do have one knote. If I left-click the KNotes icon, which I have in the System tray, that note comes up. Can somebody show me how to get that all-folders/notes-in-a-window display?

Also, as referred to above, I don't see any way to import other notes, even KNotes. I didn't see it mentioned in the documentation or in the app. This isn't like KDE. Please tell me how to import all my old notes into KNotes. Thanks.

The answer to your question appears to be something of an ongoing mystery.

Comment

Can you be more specific? I don't know what all you're referring to. I guess you're saying that you and apparently others don't know anything about any of my questions, right?

Comment

I don't use KNotes, so I can't be more specific. As evidenced in that thread on the KDE Forum, it would seem that others have asked similar questions. But answers are not forthcoming.

Both KNotes and KJots have been unmaintained for quite a while now, alas. Someone updated KNotes in 4.13 -- bug fixes, migration to Akonadi, and integration with Baloo. The comments on that post have some clues, but nothing definitive.

Comment

Hmm. Not encouraging. The next questions then are who uses what note programs in Kubuntu, and why are knotes no longer supported? Obviously, you can't answer that, and apparently no one else can; no one else is posting. I wonder what people are using in their place. Sure wish someone knowledgeable about this would post.

Comment

I would normally suggest Basket, which may less updated than Knotes/Kjots (Vivid uses a git snapshot from October, so I could be wrong on how much work it gets)

Opening Muon Discover and searching for "notes" does bring up a number of alternatives. Tomboy is arguably the most popular program in Linux for note taking, and I have heard some folks mention Xpad over the years.

I dunno which one is good bad or useful, never used this type of program in my life other than using kate and saving a group of text files as a saved session, once.

Comment

Well, I'm using Basket notes now. But given that it's also unmaintained, I'll be looking for something different. I use Evernote for notes that I need to keep synced to my phone. But as I've been working to eliminate as many of these "free" services as possible, it's likely that I'll switch to OwnCloud, if their notes app is decent enough.

Comment

I never thought of ownCloud as having such a system. Perhaps that's in my future. In the mean time I can install either Gnote or Tomboy or both and use whichever one turns out to be the best to continue with. Thanks, all.

Comment

I use xPad and I'm quite content with it. I stopped using kNotes because of all the bugs. xPad is actively maintained. It has some minor bugs, but nothing comparable with the bugs xNotes has.
                  Notes are stored in a folder ~/.config/xpad But they have strange names, so it's hard to tell which note has what. Notes are just plain text files you can read, and if you change something with a text editor it shows up (after restarting xPad). I've no idea about organizing notes in folders, but xpad has an entrance in launchpad where you can ask questions.

Comment

I haven't heard of xPad. Gnotes allows one to put notes into folders and has a show-all-notes window that lists those folders in its left pane. One can click on any folder and see its contents in the right pane, essentially being a mini-file browser. And one can either create a folder for a note he's writing or assign it to an existing folder. And one can create a folder without reference to any note. I don't know if the most recent version allows one to combine, or nest one or more folders in another one. I believe that Tomboy is even more developed. I just was hoping that KNotes would be even more developed, with KDE's being older and generally more developed than the Gnome/Gtk(+) system. It looks like I was wrong. But, again, that raises the question of whether KDE people use a different, perhaps better, more sophisticated system for noting.

Comment

This looks interesting...

http://aseman.co/en/products/papyrus/
                      http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=169288

Comment

If this turns out to be what it looks like on first impression, glance, I'll explode with hyperbolic exclamations, as--I can't think of the first two that occurred to me--phenomenal, astounding, incredible, dumbstriking, amazing. Why? Only because this looks like what I've been looking for for 15 years. That's all. If it does, I'll explain later.

Comment

Originally posted by RLynwood View Post
                          explode with hyperbolic exclamations
                          I would pay money to watch that!

Comment

I've been working on an OwnCloud instance, and found a neat notes application. See my post: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?67713

Also, I stumbled across something called TagSpaces: http://www.tagspaces.org/

Comment

TagSpaces looks interesting, too (I commented about your ownCloud on your linked page; I'll look into its notes app later).

Comment

Working...
                              X