X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot

Hi all.

I have two drives, a SSD and a HDD.
    I have windows 7 installed on the HDD, with kubuntu installed onto the SSD.
    Since installing Kubuntu onto the SSD, Windows will no longer boot without the SSD being plugged into my PC, even though windows has nothing included into the SSD.

I am wondering if windows has to be booted through kubuntu, therefore without the SSD (with Kubuntu on it) windows will not run.

Firstly, am I correct in my assumption, and is there a way to make both O/S' to run completely separate, so that I wouldn't need Kubuntu to boot windows?
    Thanks,
    Uzuda.

Hi
    where is install grub when installing Kubuntu ? if you install grub on SSD , for boot windows you must plugg SSD to PC .

Comment

I believe it is installed to SSD, How would I check?

Comment

is the SSD new ?

was windows on the HD befor you got the SSD ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Uzuda View Post
          I believe it is installed to SSD, How would I check?
          please use this script . download it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript . run it like this
          Code:
          sudo ./bootinfoscript
          when you execute script it make results.txt beside script put it here .

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            is the SSD new ?

was windows on the HD befor you got the SSD ?

VINNY

Yes I had windows on the HDD before installing kubuntu onto the SSD, but the SSD is older.

Comment

Originally posted by Baymax View Post
              please use this script . download it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript . run it like this
              Code:
              sudo ./bootinfoscript
              when you execute script it make results.txt beside script put it here .
              I tried running that code, but it kept telling me that the command is not found :/

Comment

For further clarification... When I boot up my PC and it goes through BIOS, I have a few options... (trying to type this from memory so may not be completely accurate) Ubuntu. Advanced options for Ubuntu. Ubuntu, with Linux 3.16.0-30-generic (recovery mode). Ubuntu, with Linux 3.16.0-23-generic. Memory test (memtest86+). Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200). Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1). When I pick windows 7 option, it boots up without any issues, but I would like to know that if something went wrong with the SSD, i would be able to access windows, therefore I believe I would need to move the windows boot to the other drive. The other thing to mention would be that, my SSD is only a 32Gb disk, whereas my HDD is 1Tb (split into three volumes: system reserved, O/S, and general storage. I was planning to use the HDD as storage for kubuntu (files etc.)
                Last edited by Uzuda; Feb 14, 2015, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uzuda View Post
                  For further clarification... When I boot up my PC and it goes through BIOS, I have a few options... (trying to type this from memory so may not be completely accurate) Ubuntu. Advanced options for Ubuntu. Ubuntu, with Linux 3.16.0-30-generic (recovery mode). Ubuntu, with Linux 3.16.0-23-generic. Memory test (memtest86+). Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200). Windows 7 (loader) (on /dev/sda1).
                  just to clarify ,,,,what you see hear is the grub menu (grub is the linux bootloader) not your BIOS ,,,,,,,,

all OS's nead a boot loader ,,,, windows has one as well and may/maynot still be on the HD .

start your computer and go into the BIOS or use a boot drive selector from the BIOS (like when you use a live-USB) and chose the HD that windows in on as the boot device ,,,,,,,,,,,dose windows boot .

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    just to clarify ,,,,what you see hear is the grub menu (grub is the linux bootloader) not your BIOS ,,,,,,,,all OS's nead a boot loader ,,,, windows has one as well and may/maynot still be on the HD .start your computer and go into the BIOS or use a boot drive selector from the BIOS (like when you use a live-USB) and chose the HD that windows in on as the boot device ,,,,,,,,,,,dose windows boot .VINNY
                    When I boot from HDD it takes me to the bootloader... which implies that it is installed onto the HDD not the SSD?When I installed Kubuntu from a disk, I installed it to the SSD, so this confuses me... Why would this mean I would not be able to get to the grub without the SSD?
                    Last edited by Uzuda; Feb 14, 2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

In your BIOS which drive is set as the boot drive?
                      (If you don't know, I'm going to guess it's the HDD assuming that originally came with the machine and the SSD is newer.)

The GRUB2 boot loader will be on the boot drive, but unless you have a GRUB or Linux partition on the HDD, some of the code it calls may be on the SSD.

If you want to be able to boot with SSD detached, you could fix this by creating a small GRUB partition on the HDD (I haven't done this, but there are various tutorials) or boot partition with a Linux kernel.
                      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                        In your BIOS which drive is set as the boot drive?
                        (If you don't know, I'm going to guess it's the HDD assuming that originally came with the machine and the SSD is newer.)

The GRUB2 boot loader will be on the boot drive, but unless you have a GRUB or Linux partition on the HDD, some of the code it calls may be on the SSD.

If you want to be able to boot with SSD detached, you could fix this by creating a small GRUB partition on the HDD (I haven't done this, but there are various tutorials) or boot partition with a Linux kernel.
                        Thanks! Will try that

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help! It's much appreciated!

Uzuda.

Comment

Working...
                          X