X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! HBO Go won't go!

**new install** - Acer Aspire M5-581t

Browser - prefer Chrome, will use Firefox - issue exists in both apps

Issue - HBO Go is no-go, Flash plug-in is installed. I select target, get a nice black screen

What I've tried - installed Pipelight (for Netflix) and the Flash plugin for it / no-go
    - Package Manager - toggled between flashplugin-installer and adobe-flash plugin / no-go
    - installing Flash via adobe site - APT for Ubuntu 10.4+ / no-go "The channel 'saucy-partner' is not known"

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Loaba

Perhaps HBO (No)Go requires a current version of Flash. Adobe no longer supplies Flash binaries for Linux; the latest one we have is now two years old and several revisions behind. Adobe relies on Google to supply current binaries, and these are wrapped with a Pepper API that no browser other than Chrom(e)ium supports.

You can obtain this in either of the following ways:

* Install Chrome
    * Install Chromium and the Pepper Flash installer from a Launchpad PPA

Please uninstall Pipelight, all "flashplugin" binaries, and any other Flash-related package. Now install one of the two items from above. Does HBO Go work?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Perhaps HBO (No)Go requires a current version of Flash. Adobe no longer supplies Flash binaries for Linux; the latest one we have is now two years old and several revisions behind. Adobe relies on Google to supply current binaries, and these are wrapped with a Pepper API that no browser other than Chrom(e)ium supports.

You can obtain this in either of the following ways:

* Install Chrome
      * Install Chromium and the Pepper Flash installer from a Launchpad PPA

Please uninstall Pipelight, all "flashplugin" binaries, and any other Flash-related package. Now install one of the two items from above. Does HBO Go work?
      Thanks for the response. I've seen some stuff related to Peper Flash, but I didn't know what it was. As regards the problem, I managed to resolve the issue by installing the HAL repository found here - https://launchpad.net/~mjblenner/+archive/ppa-hal.

So far, so good. I'm guessing that Flash is on the way out and Linux is being left to dry for the duration. As much as the frustrates me, I think the Linux community is pretty amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by loaba View Post
        Thanks for the response. I've seen some stuff related to Peper Flash, but I didn't know what it was. As regards the problem, I managed to resolve the issue by installing the HAL repository found here - https://launchpad.net/~mjblenner/+archive/ppa-hal.
        Good find! HAL was deprecated long ago. Apparently certain kinds of DRM in Flash require HAL.

Comment

Next up - make xfinity TV on Demand work. It flat-out needs Flash 11.8, which I don't of course have. Funny thing - Xfinity sort of works in Chrome while HBO Go only works in Firefox.

Comment

Working...
          X