This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connectivity problems

Hi, I am a very recent convert to Ubuntu/Kubuntu when my older Windows laptop crashed. I was able to get it working again by downloading an Ubuntu iso via thumbdrive and boot thru it. I admit my grandson provided me with some advise as to how. After working with Ubuntu 12.04 for awhile, I found it a little too basic looking and just today switched to Kubuntu. Unfortunately I chose to repartition and get rid of Ubuntu and use only Kubuntu. After successfully downloading and installing I find that I don,t have any connectivity with my router or with my bluetooth adapter (usb). I don,t know what to do. I get an error message that says my wireless transceiver hardware switch is turned off. Also in network manager it says that my network interface and my WLAN interface are both unmanaged. Anybody have any advise that a newby can follow? Thanks Gateway CS2726

To begin, please open a console window. Type the following commands. Copy-paste the output into a reply here.
    Code:
    rfkill list

sudo lshw -C net

cat /etc/network/interfaces

Comment

Code:
      bob@bob-CX2726:~$ rfkill list
      0: phy0: Wireless LAN
              Soft blocked: no
              Hard blocked: yes

bob@bob-CX2726:~$ sudo lshw -c net
      [sudo] password for bob: 
        *-network               
             description: Ethernet interface
             product: 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 0
             bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
             logical name: eth0
             version: 00
             serial: 00:e0:b8:b0:00:3f
             capacity: 1Gbit/s
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
             configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000e driverversion=1.5.1-k firmware=0.5-1 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
             resources: irq:45 memory:d4000000-d401ffff ioport:2000(size=32)
        *-network DISABLED
             description: Wireless interface
             product: PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection
             vendor: Intel Corporation
             physical id: 0
             bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
             logical name: wlan0
             version: 02
             serial: 00:18:de:b1:71:26
             width: 32 bits
             clock: 33MHz
             capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
             configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwl3945 driverversion=3.2.0-58-generic-pae firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abg
             resources: irq:44 memory:d6000000-d6000fff
      Last edited by SteveRiley; Feb 18, 2014, 10:47 PM.

Comment

I see that some info is missing for the output for cat /etc/network/interface command:
        Code:
        auto lo
        lface lo inet loopback
        Last edited by SteveRiley; Feb 18, 2014, 10:48 PM.

Comment

look for a physical switch on the laptop ,,,,,,,,could be a key or a little switch on the front or side of the box.

a search for Gateway CS2726 turns up nothing , are we sure of the make and model ?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I think he meant Gateway CX2726
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, late night and fingers too big -- supposed to be CX2726. Yes the network switch was off, activated it and now the Wi Lan is no longer hard blocked, but still no wireless. In the mean time I hooked up to router through cable and have internet again on this laptop. Interesting note on bluetooth, I can see the Cx2726 with my other laptops, but the CX2726 won't see anything else on network. I have 2 other laptops, 2 tablets and several phones that all are working fine on network. The CX2726 is only Linux OS, I have a Win 7 and a Mac also, and 1 Android tablet and an Ipad. Thanks for looking into this. I have been researching Ubuntu terminal commands, but so far nothing has helped.

Comment

Update: I now have wireless after installing "urfkill". Bluetooth adapter still not working right. I am thinking it is the adapter and will look for another Linux compatable device.

Comment

Working...
                X