This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real time remote editing of files using ssh/sftp

Hello all, is it possible to remote edit a file in kubuntu? In Nautilus it was simple. Connect to server, open the file in a text editor, edit it, save it and it is saved in the remote location. But using dolphin it is not so simple, I managed to connect to my ssh server but when I open a file, edit it and then save it it says in emacs "Wrote /var/tmp/kdecache-username/krun/4763.0.geom.ctl" for example. In other words my file isn't saved to the remote location. Only when I close the text editor does KDE give me the option to upload. This is very inconvenient. Any suggestions?

PS I found another post on this http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3088630.0 but no one has replied to it since 2 years! I hope I have better luck

Re: Real time remote editing of files using ssh/sftp

hey Nahsin,

try following:
    kate sftp://<username>@<IP>/<file path>

Comment

Originally posted by knaxix

kate sftp://<username>@<IP>/<file path>
      Thanks knaxix. This works well for kate but I am still trying to figure out how to get it working with emacs. Thanks again though

Comment

You could try using sshfs. It should mount the remote filesystem so you can modify remote files as they were local (I think it's similar to what nautilus does with gvfs...although I haven't used nautilus in ages).

KDE applications can interact with remote files directly with KIO slaves (like sftp://) without the need of mounting, but if you wish to use non-KDE applications sshfs should work.

Comment

Working...
        X