X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello to all of you :) new Kubuntu user here

Hi!

Well i am new to Kubuntu. Not new to Linux though...
    I have used Ubuntu since version 9.04 and have always been pleased.
    But now i wanted to try something new....and to me came Kubuntu 11.10.

And well....im quite pleased Like it alot....

I work as an IT engineer and i use all kind of MS operating system versions like
    Windows XP, 7, Vista, Server 2003, Server 2008, so well i work in an MS environment....But we have a few monitoring systems....that in fact run linux OPENNMS and Nagios, for example....

But there is a special love with Linux... Its like we were made for each other haha....
    At home i use only Linux and Kubuntu as distribution for now....it simply works...well a few problems
    have arised but have always been able to solve them with the kind linux forum people...

So well here i am.... may i embark?

Re: Hello to all of you new Kubuntu user here

welcome to KFN!
    have a pleasant stay
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Originally posted by pcteknikern
      By all means! Welcome aboard!

Linux is a meritocracy.

My "special relationship" with Linux goes back to May of 1998, but I'm not jealous!

And, a lot of us here use Windows in some way or another. You learn what you have to learn and do what you have to do to put food in your children's mouths or explore the things that interest you.

I began my consulting/programing business in 1980 and retired in 2008. I used Windows for 23 of those 28 years, and I use WinXP as a guest OS in order to run iTunes and keep my iPod updated. The last 5 years of work was spent using Linux to write in-house apps using Qt4 that would run on Windows servers.

But, I haven't written a line of code since I retired. Right now I am designing a 2 meter parabolic dish to use as an outdoor cooker. I want it big enough to bake or fry stuff, besides impressing my two grandsons by melting pennies. I'm looking forward to building it. 8)
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by pcteknikern
        But now i wanted to try something new....and to me came Kubuntu 11.10.

All aboard! Thanks for joining.

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        Right now I am designing a 2 meter parabolic dish to use as an outdoor cooker. I want it big enough to bake or fry stuff, besides impressing my two grandsons by melting pennies. I'm looking forward to building it.
        Including frying small birds who happen to inadvertently fly into the dish's focusing area?

Buddy of mine spent six months building a brick pizza oven in his back yard. After loading the firebox with a bunch of wood and letting it heat the upper stone shelf, he can cook a pizza in 20 seconds. That's impressive.

Comment

2 meter parabolic dish....most impressive

Your dish should be perfect for asian cuisine

Comment

around here we use teakwood that has an "authentic" stain, and very small wires that are coated with "something".... to make not parabolic dishes but big flat waveguides..... it is all very primitive and not at all "up to specs" but it works middlin' enough.

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hej!

I tried ubuntu 8.04 when I was newbie and can't say I was pleased with it, and my experience with GNULinux wasn't the best at that time. Then later I tried Kubuntu and fell in love with it! That was 8.10 and the hated KDE 4.x release, I loved it but everyone seemed to flee to Gnome. Kubuntu gave that touch of customize-ability that I had heard so much about.

Oh and this forum is a excellent place to hang out - prefer it to the ubuntu-forums, much more friendly

Välkommen ombord!

/Jonas
              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                Including frying small birds who happen to inadvertently fly into the dish's focusing area?
                Sparrow's are tasty cooked that way, even if they are only half a bite!

I head a story about how microwave cooking was discovered .... During WWII the big ships had that new radar thing installed and someone noticed that as the dish swung around a sea bird flew in front of it and fell to the deck, dead and partially cooked. Don't believe it myself, but it makes an interesting story.

Pizza cooked in 20 sec? Was it cinderized?
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I head a story about how microwave cooking was discovered .... During WWII the big ships had that new radar thing installed and someone noticed that as the dish swung around a sea bird flew in front of it and fell to the deck, dead and partially cooked. Don't believe it myself, but it makes an interesting story.
                  Heh. As usual, stories become legends. In this case, apparently years of retelling the story improvised the thing that got cooked. Wikipedia says...
                  The specific heating effect of a beam of high-power microwaves was discovered accidentally in 1945, shortly after high-powered microwave radar transmitters were developed and widely disseminated by the Allies of World War II, using magnetron technology. Percy Spencer, an American self-taught engineer from Howland, Maine, was working at the time building magnetrons for radar sets, with the American company Raytheon. He was working on an active radar set when he noticed that a Mr. Goodbar he had in his pocket started to melt. The radar had melted his chocolate bar with microwaves. The first food to be deliberately cooked with Spencer's microwave was popcorn, and the second was an egg, which exploded in the face of one of the experimenters. To verify his finding, Spencer created a high density electromagnetic field by feeding microwave power from a magnetron into a metal box from which it had no way to escape. When food was placed in the box with the microwave energy, the temperature of the food rose rapidly.
                  Pizza cooked in 20 sec? Was it cinderized?
                  700 degrees is the recommended temperature, with a recommended cooking time between 135 and 180 seconds. My friend is a bit of an over-doer, though, and cranks his oven to 1000 degrees. We don't get much sun up here in the Pacific Northwest, I think he's trying to construct one of his own!

Comment

WOW

Learn something every day. I didn't know that Pizza ovens were run at 700F+ !!

Comment

Working...
                    X