X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on MacBook Pro (6,2) - running WIN7PROx64 and MACOSX10.6

Hello,

I really don't know under which category to put my query, so I'll just try my best to describe the situation I'm currently in.

I'm running a MacBook Pro 6,2 with the following specs (don't know if it's relevant):
    Intel i7 @ 2.67GHz
    Corsair 8GD DDR3 1066MHz (2x4)
    Hitachi ATA 500GB
    The rest is standard for all MBPs, I think..

Okay, so the deal is this; I'm running Mac OS X Snow Leopard (the one before Lion) which I like for the battery life for when I'm surfing on the couch etc., and I'm then running Windows 7 Pro 64bit through Bootcamp because that's most efficient for when I'm at work.

Recently I've been dabbling a bit with Linux and I'm starting to want it more and more. So I go to ubuntu.com and download that Wubi-device thingy. Everything's been good so far.

But now I want to try kubuntu, and it won't work by the same procedure as I did with ubuntu - I'm "running along side Windows".

I removed my ubuntu and started a fresh installation with kubuntu, but it stops at the "kubuntu screen" after wubi tells be to reboot.

Another (maybe off-topic) question is this; what is "gnome 3"? I saw a video on youtube about how to install it with apt-get in terminal etc, but when I try that on my ubuntu and everything finishes, I reboot to complete installation and when I choose "gnome" at the login screen it says it's unable to use it. Any advice?

I would mostly like to run Linux as a seperate partition (NOT inside Windows), is that possible?

Whew, this thing ran pretty long. Sorry...

Kind regards,

Simon

Re: Kubuntu on MacBook Pro (6,2) - running WIN7PROx64 and MACOSX10.6

P.s, I've tried to shrink my HDD by 20 gigs, inserting the ubuntu 11.04 x64 DVD I've burned (using infrarecorder), and rebooting. But the option to boot device or ubuntu installation menu doesn't show.

Comment

I had exactly the same thing happening with my iMac desktop.
      What worked for me, is when you restart the mac and you get to Wubi finishing installation, press Escape (or Tab i can't remember) before it starts. That will give you a range of options. The option that worked for me was the second last one, verbose mode i believe.
      It still took a long time and i walked away from it for a while thinking it had crashed again. But when i came back, it was all done.
      I have done this twice now and both times it worked. You could try using Refit as your boot manager, but it never worked for me.
      Good luck and you will enjoy it once its done.
      sigpic

Comment

Remember; you can hold Option while your mac boots to display the startup device selector

My Early-08 macbook run OSX & Kubuntu; no Windows. I resized my OSX partiton, Inserted the Kubuntu CD, rebooted while holding the option key, selected the CD & hit boot.
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Working...
        X