This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu and the cloud

Has any made the move to cloud computing while using Kubuntu software. While I am not using Kubuntu now I am considering building my next PC and would like to experiment Kubuntu as an operating system. I am trying to look in to the future here and save on all costs related to maintaining and upgrading my IT infrastructure.
    vCloud API

Re: Kubuntu and the cloud

I have demonstrated it at the college whereat I teach as a proof of concept. Of course they didn't even register it, because they are going to spend a coupla of hundred thou for Windblow and some third party to do it, but then they can say...."We bought the best and it is not OUR fault" that our information was hacked by a teenager in Lower Slobbovia.

I used Google docs.

There are two things to remember.

a) If the power goes down your wonderful cloud is in the clouds and you are sitting on the throne reading a back issue of a catalogue.
    b) Save EVERYTHING on the machines whereupon the data is produced. every day, every hour, every time you change something.

That way you can put down the catalogue and get back to work!!

But, given that, it works, simple as that.

Others use Ubuntu One

I notice that it now syncs with an Android and the Iphone. And, they are progressing on a Windows synch.

Ubu One Cloud

Ubu One Wikipedia article

The real "hotbutton" issue is "synching". If one just saves then things are pretty simple but "synching" can be tricksy.

That is why I used Google docs instead of Ubu One because Ubu One wasn't synching at the time.

But, Kubu is completely functional so I would think you should have no problem and please report your results if you wouldn't mind.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Very informative.. Thx for the advice
      vCloud API

Comment

you're quite welcome
        woodcluelesssmoke
        sigpic