This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Excited for Kubuntu 11.04

I am a long time Ubuntu user (by choice, since early 2006) and Windows user (not by choice, forced upon at work) and I have been playing around with a beta version of Kubuntu 11.04 in VirtualBox. So far I am in love with it; it is much snappier in VirtualBox than Unity and it looks, pardon the pun, much more unified than Unity. It is also gorgeous.

Thus, I am pretty sure next weekend will be the weekend where I make the switch over to Kubuntu 11.04 on my main machines. Weirdly, I find this exciting!

Is there anything that a long-time Ubuntu user should be aware of regarding Kubuntu, like things that are done slightly different, etc.? Also, any websites, information areas that I should be aware of? I usually visit OMG Ubuntu, Webupd8 Ubuntu, Ubuntu Geek and Ubuntu News for all my news fixes.

Re: Very Excited for Kubuntu 11.04

The HowTo's is a good place to start.

I also agree, this is the best Kubuntu I've used to date.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Thanks for the Ho-to list. I will be mindful of it if I encounter any issues.

Comment

The beta is very much more snappy... I don't know if it's a direct result from those infamous 200 lines in the kernel or not, but I'm liking it.

Comment

I made the swhitch myself a couple weeks ago. Kubuntu Natty rocks, and I've officially become a KDE fanboi. I might write a thread as to why. You'll feel right at home, plus there are some things you'll just never want to have on your system again once you've tried KDE, like, say, gconf-editor, the gnome keyring...

Comment

^ totally agreed.
            i am giving spin to the ubuntu natty. one thing i hate is the keyring.
            in case of kubuntu, i have option of just "disable" the wallet. but in ubuntu nah...

edit: small thing.. but still helpful, while using the multitouch touchpad:
            ubuntu: two fingers== right click, three fingers== middle click
            kubuntu: two fingers== middle click, three fingers== right click
            asus A52N
            Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
            AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
            windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

The first time that the wallet starts, you leave a blank field, and that's it. Any KDE app that needs acess to it will ask you if it can acess it and you choose option to allow always. With the gnome keyring, you leave it blank, it's fine by that, but it's not so easy. A few months down the line, it will suddenly appear once you've started up the computer. And, lol, some times you get prompted for it, but can't enter the keyring, and the whole desktop will be locked. So the only choice is to go to the virtual console and kill all the processes associated with the keyring, if you're lucky get to the desktop, and change it to blank again.

I've had to help two guys on the Ubuntu forums deal with the situation, because they, like me, were having a locked down desktop, but weren't angry enough to start killing everything and getting out of the jam.

Comment

Working...
              X