This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy newbie here.

First of all sorry for my poor english.I came to use Kubuntu by luck 4 weeks ago.The computer of my daughter was not able to boot Windows so i decided to try Ubuntu on it just for fun.I was sure that after a couple of hours i would unstall it.After all Linux was all about command lines right and i HATED THE DAYS OF DOS.Man was i wrong..I first install Ubuntu,discover a whole new world of doing things and frankly speaking having a blast learning to work with Linux.Oh sure at first there was a lot of WTF,a lot of `ohhhhhhhhhh so that is how you...`a lot of `are they kidding me`.Im not doing anything meaningful mind you right now,just a lot of exploring.Gave a shot to Kubuntu which i prefer to Gnome.Wine is actually pretty good patching things where only Windows programs are fit to my needs.Im a chess addict and both Chessbase and Playwitharena plays as good as in Windows.To tell you the truth i just cant wait coming home from work and exploring and learning about KDE AND kUBUNTU.Right now i would not mind wearing a t-shirt with a huge Kubuntu logo on it...lol...I put Kubuntu on my computer also using Wubi for now...Anyway keep up the good work.You seem to have a nice community in here

Re: Happy newbie here.

Welcome to KFN and the world of Linux. Happy to hear that your foray into Linux via *buntu was a pleasant suprise.

You will find that KFN is a wonderful resource for Kubuntu. Plenty of people here, with varying degrees of experience and ability, but all with a desire to use and help others to use, Kubuntu.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

ahmn, welcome here. Lots of friendly folks here. Regarding your English. You express yourself better than a lot of native English speakers. I like chess also. Thankfully you don't need Wine for that.

You can browse our documentation and HowTo's found HERE.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Welcome aboard!

There are PLENTY of educational packages for your daughter in the repository! DreamChess is in the repository, too!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hello and welcome
            Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
            How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
            PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

I am also new here. Looks to be a good forum where I can learn a lot.

Comment

Welcome to KFN1

Originally posted by ahmn
                I first install Ubuntu,discover a whole new world of doing things and frankly speaking having a blast learning to work with Linux.Oh sure at first there was a lot of WTF,a lot of `ohhhhhhhhhh so that is how you...`a lot of `are they kidding me`.
                I remember those feelings, a rollercoaster with 'doh!' and 'ahh'.I gave Unity a try, and liked it, with 11.04, and belived they would 'fix' it, I was wrong. I'm slowly starting to hate Ubuntu/Unity now - with unity it feels locked into one way of doing things, anything they do with unity it's possible to do with KDE plus more.

Im a chess addict and both Chessbase and Playwitharena plays as good as in Windows.To n here
                Not that I say you should ditch Wine+Win.apps just for the sake of it, but you may find Knights interesting (it do have some bugs however). I enjoy playing chess but I'm not really good at it, it's a good way to let your mind off work for 15 mins

Knights - http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...content=122046
                It's also in the repositories

You seem to have a nice community in here
                It's the best!

B.R

Jonas
                ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
                X