X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Laptop brand/OEM question

Originally posted by GreyGeek
    What's the rest of your model number? 4820T-??

Checked the comments at Amazon on several of the 4820T series and ALL were highly rated by users.
    Acer serial ID number is LX.PSE02.353 http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=610601 so 4820 TG would be the answer.

Seen both up and down thumbs for it (more thumbs up before purchase tbh) but overall it seems solid - for the buck - next one in line was ~ 120 USD more. Think this one will leave the market soon as it is a i3. But in general the TimelineX series seems quite a bang for the buck

woah! just saw that the same retailer I purchased it from went from what I payed 6990 SEK to 8695 SEK :O *happy camper*
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas

Acer, Asus, Sony Vaio (Dell, Samsung?)

Pricerange - 6000-8000 SEK (~925 - 1,233 USD / 682 - 910 EUR) any specific laptops hints welcome )
      (my main purpose for this machine is write, mail and web with a deasent keyboard

B.R

Jonas
      Jonas,

First off let's get the misnomer out of the way. Most Any laptop you buy right now will be compatible with Kubuntu, not all but Most. I on the other hand, would recommend an ACER because they do support the open source community and I've not had any problem with Linux and Acer. I in fact have always sought to buy an Acer laptop every time I need one because they work so well and survive the wear and tear of everyday life. So I will always recommend Acers for laptops just because they work so well! I'm using an Ascer Aspire 5739G with Kubuntu 11.04 right now and are not having any problems with Linux and Acer!

Comment

I've had a similar experience with Acer and Linux. I've purchased four of them.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I bought it and I'm very pleased with it. Runs nice with both MM and NN

Only real issue I've had was this wifi/BT trouble, not really a Acer issue however, but very annoying as it looks and feels like a graphics issue, yet it ain't. My BT still don't work but I haven't been looking for a solution to it, and HDMI sound don't work on Kubuntu NN, but do work in Ubuntu NN to my panasonic TV, same there though, haven't been digging deeper into it.

I'd recommend Acer, so far I find it on par with Asus laptops, yet price tag is nicer.

BR

jonas

PS; Only 'issue' I have with Acer is that they released a Acer Ferrari which I find to be one of the most corny and silly PR stunts in computer history - if I'd wanted a 'Ferrari' I'd buy the real Macoy not a boosted red calculator with a sticker on it
          ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
          Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
          Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
          Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
          - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
          >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Working...
          X