This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 2 joined Kubuntu!!!

My day has just turned into the best day this week and it's a Friday, but not because it's weekend (that's just a bonus).

About a month ago i show 2 of my VERY pro-Windows friends what Kubuntu is and why I'm so very passionate about it. According to them I talk lovingly and passionate about Kubuntu
    Anyhow, I've installed Kubuntu dual-booting with Windows for them. Spent the whole morning explaining to them what everything is; showing command lines; all the available software and support too.
    They have just let me know how impressed they are with Kubuntu and how easy they find it.
    Although I did try to make their transition as simple, smooth and pain-free as possible I also told them that if they should run into problems the forums are a great place to hang around for advice.
    So here's to a job well done to everyone that has helped me on the forums.
    I am proud to say that I am an Kubuntu geek and love it.

Re: Another 2 joined Kubuntu!!!

Nothing wrong with that! Hopefully they eventually learn what a great OS it is and decide to take the "plunge". I always like hearing others introducing such a great OS to others.

Comment

Hi Moonrise
      I think they just got sick & tired of my outright bragging about Kubuntu, the features, the support and everything else LOL.
      At least they're dual booting, it won't take long before they'll be converted

Comment

thats nice..
        i always say the only two things which IMO hold back ppl from taking plunge into kubuntu.. or for that matter are:
        1. sync softwares of mobile are designed only for win7 and mac. (though i saw palm pre can be synced with kontact kmail etc.)
        2. gamers

there was once a fear of command line.. but latest releases can be (almost) completely handled using GUI.
        asus A52N
        Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
        AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
        windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

SnowFlake,
          For several years I got the same feeling when I donated a computer with Linux, just wish I could do it more but nobody wants second hand stuff anymore...I am so jealous!

No seriously, I'm glad you got to do it!

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

@kapil - luckily those 2 points don't affect the newest 2 users. They are so in love with all the free games and they never synced their phones anyway. Bonus points for that.

@woodsmoke - I'm so impressed that they eventually made the decision. I was doing most of their video editing on my laptop (Pavilion dv6) while they were watching. They ended up being the jealous one :-)

Comment

@Snowflake
              Great!
              +2
              I think I convinced another last week to change to *buntu, I haven't spoken to her since then, but she had a problem with her laptop just froze - either it was malware or a failing diskdrive I encouraged her to switch to 'linux' (though really the corrupt win system convinced her, more then I did)

Originally posted by kapil
              thats nice..
              i always say the only two things which IMO hold back ppl from taking plunge into kubuntu.. or for that matter are:
              1. sync softwares of mobile are designed only for win7 and mac. (though i saw palm pre can be synced with kontact kmail etc.)
              You mean like this? :P I have friends who have done the same thing ... I can't say that this a feature ... but somehow I think those Mac folks consider it a good thing

I had trouble to update my (linux)Android phone with *buntu so I can say this is a obstacle for convincing people to do the transition but for me atleast the main priority is to be able to move files more then to sync. When i try to convince or advice people to use linux this is what I underline - the simplicity that this just work.

2. gamers
              .... and other win/mac applications, I'd like to add. Many I know don't play games more then solitaire and such but they do use photoshop/illustrator/scetchup/word/excel etc. It would be easy to say that there are equivalents in linux but it could 'backfire'. OOo/LibreOffice may be equivalent with M$ Office (in most ways) for most users but once they wish to use a feature/command they are used to have in Word they think OOo/Libre is broke or completely without potential/use- mainly cause they aren't used to the linux app.
              To them I use to underline that 95% of the users don't use 100% of the features - thus they'll never encounter this lack of features that they'll think they will use.

Only 1 out of ~10 teachers at the universities I been at the last year have used the full potential of M$ Word (adding comments in the margin for instance), some don't even set up a standard format of papers/texts they hand out - and they write in word for a living. Needless to say - 1/10 of those actually take advantage of those supposed must have features.

I spoke to my father last week and he was thinking of getting linux - I told him about the equivalents like OOo - he said that he tried it before but got annoyed because the paper format was 'letter' instead of 'A4' - he didn't know that this was only the default US setting.

Sum up; (Too many) users consider them self as professionals so they need the professional tool - which is hardly ever the case.

there was once a fear of command line.. but latest releases can be (almost) completely handled using GUI.
              Indeed this could be the one of the major obstacles - many think that linux is all CLI - I tell them that it's all GUI with a feature to use CLI, and the advantage of the one string of commands equals a textbook of where to navigate, which buttons to push and check boxes to click.

Another conversation I had before and recently was something like this ..

Me - I see you have a Mac - do you like it?
              Person - Yes, it's nice to know there aren't any viruses, and everything just work - not like a PC
              Me - Yea I agree, I wouldn't buy a Mac though - not enough 'bang for the buck'
              Person- Don't you get alot of viruses and such?
              Me- no never, I don't use windows
              Person- How do you do then?
              Me - I'm doing quite fine thank you (.. and tell about linux till they get bored )

When you speak of the 'box' - one really need to convince people to 'think outside the box'
              ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
              Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
              Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
              Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
              - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
              >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

@Jonas, loved the link. I laughed so loudly the entire neighbourhood heard me.
                But back to basics, I've always been pro-Windows, it's all I ever knew. 3 years ago my Windows Vista-hard drive crashed; taking all my data with it. Luckily I had a back. But after not wanting to pay the $'s to replace the hard drive and get Windows again, I got hold of an Ubuntu cd - I have not looked back since. Everyone in my house runs Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Teenage son, toddler daughter & husband are more for the games that are available and I do all my admin etc on it.
                Since moving over to *buntu I've never missed a Windows feature. Not even for my iPod. I use gtkiPod Manager (and I don't loose any music).
                At times I've got to take a breath and not rant about all that I can find wrong with Windows.
                Esp when I get that personal email from someone that uses Incredimail. I just want to rip my hair out and cry

Comment

@Jonas: lolzzzz...
                  yeah.. i couldn't agree more..
                  even i "copy" music instead of syncing my Nokia N97.

but still i wish, those of us.. who were successful in syncing there iPod/iPad/android/mobile devices should make a "How To.." of their experience.. it would be lot beneficial for others. especially the n00bs who search for How Tos before giving linux a chance.

@snowflake: does gtkiPod sync kontacts aswell? or it can not handle iPhone?
                  asus A52N
                  Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                  AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                  windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

@kapil, I've only ever synced music with it. I don't use it for anything else. Just Radio & music functions.

Comment

What is helping me convince people to move away from Windows is cost and security.

Gone are the days of one computer in the house. Now I see families with the one main computer, and there will be 3-4 notebooks in the house.

If they want to upgrade from Vista to Win7 using home version, they will have to spend US $119 per each copy of the UPGRADE version (more if it's a stand alone copy).

Then each computer will need the updated antivirus/firewall/malware & spyware programs.

Then if they want Microsoft office, they'll need a separate license for each computer.

Updating is fun, need to run to all the different websites to get the updates.

I explain to my friends that with my linux computer, all updates come from on site. I spend nothing on licenses, and it's much more secure that windows.

That gets them thinking!

I also demonstrate the secure ability of Linux by letting my 4 and 5 year old boys have at it on their own Ubuntu boxes. With no access to the root password, and a properly configured hosts file (hat tip to oshunlvr!) I know the mischief ability of both them and the internet at large is drastically reduced.

Microsoft is already talking about the successor to Win7. I just smile, because I know I won't have to spend the money to update my fleet!

Comment

Other than cost and security the other big selling selling point I use is speed. When I show someone how fast I can go from boot to completely checking all of my email accounts (5) and having my browser open and checking my forums I regularly visit they are amazed. In windows, it seems to take forever, first the boot time is much slower, then once booted you can't really do anything until that stupid hourglass goes away, and that doesn't happen until windows does all it's silly background stuff (you don't even know what it's really doing but it seems to take forever). Then I amaze them by showing them how fast I can check for updates and install any new updates, and explain to them that not only did I just update my OS, but I updated every installed program on my computer in a matter of seconds. Try that in windows. Then I show them the Compiz desktop. That will further amaze them when I rotate that cube and have have three or four programs running at once, all on a different workspace.

Comment

@ScottyK - the savings of Kubuntu is also a factor and plays a big role. We all try to save where we can.
                          @ Detonate - I'm one of those families that each has his own computer/laptop - we all run Ubuntu/Kubuntu. The main attraction for me is I can get my kids involved on their own computers playing games, surfing the net etc. Linux can be made to individual taste. Having a 17 year old and 4 year old, I don't have to worry about viruses etc while they surfing the net. They don't download anything and Firefox along with WOT gives me great peace of mind.
                          The kids love the games that can be added for free and they're constantly bragging about it to friends. The teenager always has friends over playing games - Torc, SuperTux, etc. The 4 year old is well taught for her age because of the games.
                          She plays SuperTux like a pro LOL

Comment

Supertux is a big deal at my house also. When the grandkids get involved with the tux its hard to get my computer back.

Comment

@Detonate that is why they each have their own and daddy is included. I'm not much of a gamer, but man SuperTux is addictive. Daddy loves is because he gets to build some new levels for them LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X