This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wifi on Dell Inspiron 1520

I'm having trouble getting wifi on my laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 1520 with a Dell 1395 Mini WLAN card, Broadcom 4312 chipset. I've just switched over from Windows 7, and I would like some help on this.

I've searched all over the internet, and these forums, and none of the tutorials have really helped me. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Wifi on Dell Inspiron 1520

Welcome to Linux and to KFN.

You need to let us know what version of Kubuntu you installed, and the version of KDE.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

oh, sorry. It's Kubuntu 10.04 Desktop i383 and KDE 4.5

like i said, any help would be appreciated. I can't start installing programs until I have internet.

Comment

New question (since nobody wanted to do the legwork)

how do you convert a tarball (tar.gz.) to .deb? is it possible?

EDIT: Nevermind. It didn't work.

I have the driver from the broadcom website but I have no idea how to build it. I don't want a tutorial about building it, because I'd rather not have to build it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by cobaltwarrior19
          I'm having trouble getting wifi on my laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 1520 with a Dell 1395 Mini WLAN card, Broadcom 4312 chipset. I've just switched over from Windows 7, and I would like some help on this.

I've searched all over the internet, and these forums, and none of the tutorials have really helped me. Any help would be appreciated.
          have you tried to use jockey , check if there is a driver for you broadcom chip , you should have to install the firmware cutter and the driver (naturally you will want to have the computer pluged into lan before you do this). if jockey shows no drivers you can install then would you kindly post the
          network section of lshw output.

i would not advise you install tar.gz programs,you have to extract and compile the program. you will need to install the package build-essental to compile. you might need more libarys i don't know it will depend on the code your tring to compile, basicly you can use the make command to build the code, however do this as an absolute last resort.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I don't have Lan available to me. My only access to the internet is through public wifi.

Comment

Originally posted by cobaltwarrior19
              I don't have Lan available to me. My only access to the internet is through public wifi.
              well your prolly gonna need to either download the packages on another computer, or get access to a lan cable for a few min.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Luckily I'm sitting at both computers right now. I'm typing this on a wifi enabled computer.

Comment

Working...
                X