X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't understand a thing about Kubuntu .... help please

Hi everyone ... or just anyone!

I have made a transition from Windows XP to Kubuntu but I really can't understand how it works. Can someone at least tell me how to get to the START option or somthing similar.

Please note that my English may be sometimes weak because I speak French most of the time. Thanks.

Re: Don't understand a thing about Kubuntu .... help please

Welcome!

There's a blue button with a big "K" on it on the end of your panel (aka "taskbar"). Click it to access menus.

Here's reading material: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104843.0

and the FAQs link in my signature might be useful too.

Comment

here is the quick list of things that should help you out..
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108924.0

when you press alt+F2 you can launch app which is similar to "Run" of windows.
      There u may enter command "konsole" which will open a similar of "command" prompt window.

and please read a FAQs as suggested by dibl
      there are many guides available for kubuntu.. (e.g http://kubuntuguide.org/Karmic)

proceed as per ur requirement.. that will make it easy for you.

and ther is this wonderful community with humble and helpful people to help u out.
      so.. welcome to KFN
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Welcome! Also, there's the Kubuntu French Forum right here.

Comment

Lots of useful stuff available for you in the links posted. I can, however, understand if you find it a lot to absorb

Can I highlight just one thing that you will need to know. That is you will hardly ever need to visit a 3rd party website to install the software you need, as almost everything you will need is already pre-packaged for you by ubuntu and available in repositories they maintain. As a newcomer you will need a package manager to access these. The best is called synaptic. You will need to install this first. To do so do the following:

Hit alt+F2 and in the box type Konsole and click on the icon that appears. A terminal window will appear. Copy the following command into it:

Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          Then hit return and enter your password then return again.
          This will elevate you to administrator level (sudo) and update your list of available packages.
          Then
          Code:
          sudo apt-get install synaptic
          Hit return and hit y then return if asked.

Synaptic and a number of other packages on which it depends will all be downloaded and installed.

Thereafter the easiest way for you to install any software will be with synaptic (alt+F2 then synaptic or via the kmenu /system/synaptic (I think!). Applications will be shown in groups, to reflect what they do, and when you select a package you get an explanation of them.

As you get the feel of things you can widen the selection of available packages by adding more repositories but let's look at that a bit later.

Hope this helps

Ian

Oops! Just noticed your original post was a few weeks ago so by now I expect you are either happily up and running or have given up! Hope it's the former.

Comment

Working...
          X