X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skype 2.1 Beta 2 has screen sharing!

http://share.skype.com/sites/garage/...alking_sc.html

Have not had time to test myself, but this is definitely a Windows version feature that I have been waiting for...

--disable-cleanlooks apparently no longer works, due to issues...

Re: Skype 2.1 Beta 2 has screen sharing!

Thanks for sharing (no pun intended) this. Skype is one of the main reasons I still use Windows. It just hasn't worked for me using any Linux distro.

I'll try again with Skype's newest offer.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

@verndog: let me tell you.. it works fine.. video conf and the screen sharing is really good
      asus A52N
      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Screen sharing (the entire screen or just a window on it) is a feature added to the new, 2.1.x version of Skype for Linux.

I couple days ago one of my dependents, who lives 1,700 miles east of me in Logan, W.V., called on a land line to say he couldn't access his email or use Skype. Seems he had lost his passwords to both applications. I happened to remember what they were and got him going again. We reconnected via Skype and chatted for a while. I thought it would be a good idea to replace the Medibuntu version of Skype with the new beta from the Skype website. So we reverted back to the phone and I talked him though removing the old version, downloading the new one and installing it. We reconnected via Skype but his video wouldn't come up. I read the README file and learned about replacing "skype" with "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype" in the "command:" text box of the Skype menu configuration.

That got his video running again. I clicked on the option to share my whole screen and gave him a view of my installation while I ran a few apps. Then I had him close his view of my screen and show his screen. I then proceeded to talk him through several reconfigurations and to teach him how to do certain things he want to learn how to do by watching what he was doing while I told him what to click or to type. It made supporting him SO MUCH EASIER that I am going to use Skype to support all my dependents (who have a working web camera on board).
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I read the README file and learned about replacing "skype" with "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype" in the "command:" text box of the Skype menu configuration.
          worked just great this is the first time this OLD Veo Stingray has worked on eney of my linux distros.......

now got to get GG back to see if the screen sharing will work ... I still dont have a mic though

just so you know GG .....

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by addniim
            Can you tutorial me ?!
            Sure. My Skype handle is GreyGeek. What's yours?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              I talked him though removing the old version, downloading the new one and installing it.
              Is it necessary to remove the old version before installing the new?

BTW, I am geezergeek1 on Skype.

Comment

I've added ya to my contact list!

Comment

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODI4Mg

Canonical Pushes Skype Into Ubuntu Repository
                  Posted by Michael Larabel on May 25, 2010

"...Packaged currently in the Ubuntu Lucid repository is Skype 2.1.0.81..."

Comment

Working...
                  X