X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From windows 7 to kubuntu - need help with KDE Partition Manager

Hey guys,

I'm VERY PLEASED to announce I've finally ditched windows. I don't want to do any microsoft bashing but to say the least I was fed up (considering I'm a software developer and my dedicated server is linux, anyways).

I've successfully installed kubuntu on my HP AMD 64 bit laptop - without one hitch whatsoever! Impressive! Even the buttons on my laptop (for volume, sound, touchpad, etc) all work! I have no hardware issues and everything works great.

I know my way around a bit simply because of playing around with linux servers so I managed to install apache, mysql, php, and get them all working together. Very nice.

OK, to the point..

1) I used KDE Partition Manager to delete my windows 7 partition. Now I wish to allocate all of this free space to my linux partition. However, I'm unsure how to do so because the KDEPM help said a volume has to be unmounted to resize it, and I can't unmount the partition. What to do?

2) Once I am able to allocate the free space, do I want to allocate it to /dev/sda2 or /dev/sda5?

Here is a screenshot for all of you who are interested in helping

http://i47.tinypic.com/351acdx.jpg

Thanks!
    -Scott (happy to be here, and happy to finally be devoting all of my time to linux)

Re: From windows 7 to kubuntu - need help with KDE Partition Manager

Download a copy of this http://partedmagic.com/ to partition your drive.

I'm sure others will pipe in with suggestions but you should create at least one partition for your home directory and mount it as /home

Comment

redirected to poster's thread
      "Live long and prosper"

Comment

To be honest it might be quicker and easier to reinstall Kubuntu and tell the installer to use the entire hard drive since allocating 415GB to an existing partition is probably going to take hours...

In any case, to answer your questions:
        1. You cannot unmount a partition you are currently using, i.e. if you log into Kubuntu you cannot unmount sda2. You will have to use a liveCD to manage your partitions. You can either use the Kubuntu liveCD (and install KDE partition manager there). You can also use something live GParted LiveCD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php) which is a small download and quicker to load.
        2. sda5 is your data partition and the one you need to resize. Not sure if you have to resize sda2 first (since sda5 is under it).

HTH

Comment

Scoyttay,

Welcome aboard the good ship Kubuntu!

Two questions:
          1) What is the model number of your HP

2) How did Win7 run for you (not asking you to bash it. Just give you think are the pros and cons)

Thanks,
          GG
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hello all,

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the live cd a try and report back with results.

The laptop is an HP Pavilion dv7-1451nr
            Seen here: -> http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-d...product_800740

Windows 7 is definitely an upgrade from Vista. I don't remember the XP days.. long ago for me. The upgrade is not so much in the performance (at least not noticeably so). The upgrade is in the GUI and UAC (user account control). Everything is simpler and cleaner. The neat little addons like the snap and shake and introduction of sticky notes was cool. The easy networking and play-to was very cool. I'd recommend it over Vista.

Overall though, when windows 7 critical update made my WAMP stop working mysteriously (tried so hard to figure out what was wrong - but couldn't), I decided windows crossed the last line with me.

.. And here I am.

Comment

Does the fingerprint feature on your HP work with Kubuntu?
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I didn't know I had a fingerprint reader LOL.

Comment

Well, I tried the ubuntu live cd using GParted (couldn't find kpartitionmanager in the software installer - i could've probably used apt-get but i don't feel comfortable enough with it).

GParted wouldn't allow me to resize the linux partition. Well, it would let me, but it would only let me resize it to the size it already is - it wouldn't let me use any unallocated space.

Going to try parted magic on a USB stick now.

Comment

i would certianly do a reinstall unless you have a lot of data that you want to save..., also make a seperate /home partition this can be very helpful if you have to reinstall since all you settings are in /home/<usr>
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

parted magic worked... magically

new partitions: http://i45.tinypic.com/el314m.jpg

No reinstall necessary... only took about an hour too, and i could browse the internet while it was doing it.. pretty awesome!

For now this is good for me. I will take your guys' advice and create a separate home partition.

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

OK I do believe this follows along with the thread topic so no need to create a new one (please forgive me if wrong).

At first I was dual booting windows 7/kubuntu. Then, as noted above, I unallocated my windows partition and resized my ubuntu partition to fill up the whole disk.

Now I have grub still asking me which OS to boot up into. How can i remove the grub bootloader and automatically boot to my Kubuntu desktop?

Comment

Boot into your Kubuntu and at Konsole do
                          sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                          That should generate a new boot menu that excludes Windows.
                          Next set the Default OS to correspond to Kubuntu (probably set default=0) in the /etc/default/grub file.
                          And you can reduce the timeout to a low but positive value, say
                          set timeout=3
                          (seconds).

GRUB 2 A Guide for Users
                          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0
                          and drs305:
                          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

and after editing /etc/default/grub, you have to run
                            sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                            for the changes to be effective
                            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Wow, thank you.
                              I set the value to 1 and uncommented the GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT line

Now it boots straight up into kubuntu

Comment

Working...
                              X