This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing a NTFS drive (n00b warning!)

First, I've already spent hours trying to figure this out reading forums and such, plenty of them out there. Usually they don't have quite the same issue as me, and solutions are COMPLETELY over my head. Kate hates me by now, I'm sure of it.

One other thing: I am BRAND NEW. Have a house full of networked XP/Vista machines, would like to start a transition -This computer is running Kubuntu 9.04 (KDE 4.2.2), everything is working great, except:

I have 2 HDD's in this computer, one is for the OS (clean Kubuntu install, no issues), the other HDD is my media drive, mp3's and such that I access from all of my Winders machines. It is NTFS, never had an OS on it, storage only.

It shows up in Dolphin (root/media/Local Disc), even has a big icon for it at left. Can also access all my files/folders... locally. And it auto-mounts every boot.

Samba though, oh boy, this is where my head explodes...

I can see how to share my main HDD, CDROM, folders, or what-have-you in Samba, but not the stupid NTFS media drive. I have no idea how to get it shared and am ready to give up

BTW, I can access shares on other (Windows) computers from Kubuntu, no problemo. Streaming audio from an XP machine to this one (Kubuntu) right now.

Please help. Feel like I am missing something very obvious here but remain stumped because of the n00b factor. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Re: Sharing a NTFS drive (n00b warning!)

This is a pretty advanced task, let's see if we figure it out. Once it is automounted, if you click on it in Dolphin, you'll see its folders. Can you right click on any of these folders and try to share it? (choose samba). Does it let you do it?

Pls make sure samba is installed.

Comment

I have a NTFs drivr that is shared Volumn label is Win-Shared .

first go to terminal type in kdesudo 'dolphin --nofork' and highlight your ntfs drive and select file-properties then permissions and allow group and others to read-write.
      Here is a sample of my smb.conf file. Also check that Samba is installed. 9.04 comes with samba-client
      only.

workgroup = MSHOME
      security = SHARE
      auth methods = guest
      map to guest = Bad User
      obey pam restrictions = Yes
      passdb backend = tdbsam
      pam password change = Yes
      passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
      passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
      unix password sync = Yes
      syslog = 0
      log file = /var/log/samba/log.smb
      max log size = 1000
      name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
      domain master = No
      dns proxy = No
      usershare allow guests = Yes
      panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d

[Documents]
      path = /home/gil/Documents/
      read only = No
      create mask = 0775
      directory mask = 0775
      guest ok = Yes

[Public]
      path = /home/gil/Public/
      read only = No
      create mask = 0775
      directory mask = 0775
      guest ok = Yes
      hosts allow = 127.0.0.1, 192.168., localhost
      hosts deny = 192.168.220.102

[Local Disk]
      path = /media/Local Disk/
      read only = No
      create mask = 0775
      directory mask = 0775
      guest ok = Yes

[Win-Shared]
      path = /media/Win-Shared/
      read only = No
      create mask = 0775
      directory mask = 0775
      guest ok = Yes

[printers]
      comment = All Printers
      path = /var/spool/samba
      create mask = 0700
      printable = Yes
      browseable = No

[print$]
      comment = Printer Drivers
      path = /var/lib/samba/printers

Comment

Thanks for the reply GilGib. Tried the thing in terminal, I'll spare you the entire copy, it mainly contained words like "failed", "cannot" "broken", "error", etc...

Funny thing about 'fork', I get an error that tells me I 'need to fork' every time I access the Software Manager.... where I went to look for my Samba version, crashes every time.

You mentioned Samba "client", I did not find mention of client/server versions on their website, just one file to download. Surely I have some version installed because it has an icon that comes up in 'Network', and I can see all my Windows shares. This OS is updated as well.

I am thinking of moving everything off the NTFS drive, by actually removing the HDD from this machine then replacing and formatting, seems way less of a hassle at this point.

Thanks again for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
          This is a pretty advanced task, let's see if we figure it out. Once it is automounted, if you click on it in Dolphin, you'll see its folders. Can you right click on any of these folders and try to share it? (choose samba). Does it let you do it?

Pls make sure samba is installed.
          .....thanks lmilano. I'm absolutely sure Samba is installed (see my other reply).

When I right click an NTFS file or folder I can go Properties and there is a 'Share' tab. The tab reads: You need to be authorized to share files.
          Under that is a button that reads Configure File Sharing...

When clicked, the button goes gray (dead) and sometimes I am asked for my admin password, then... absolutely nothing happens.... nothing.

Guess I hadn't realized it, but I can't share anything, not just the NTFS drive -every folder does what I mention above. But I can still access all my Windows shares through Network/Samba Shares. What the ? ... This is that n00b thing I warned about.

As I'd mentioned before, I'm getting overwhelmed, and now errors are occurring in major parts of the OS -I'll assume that 'Software Manager' crashing every time I open it may be linked to some other issues, perhaps this one too.

Crap. I don't know what to do. I hate seeing Windows people whine like this, but now look at me. Meh. Shameful.

Thanks again for the input

Comment

I think these days most of these things can be done by clicking on pretty windows, I would try that first.

The other I set up some samba shares in literally 2 minutes (between two kubuntu machines) from the graphical interface.

I think your intuition is great. First try to share a regular folder. The NTFS has an additional difficulty, you don;t necessarily own it (depending on how you access it), so I would start with something simpler.

The greying up of the samba share window and the software installer crashing are bugs, I think both will be fixed if you update your packages using some unofficial repositories for KDE4 for Kubuntu.

But Karmic is being released today, I am running it and loving it. Kubuntu introduced some radically new technologies about a year ago, and things are a lot more mature, functional and stable in each release. Karmic is a step in that direction.

Wouldyou rather stay in Jaunty or update to Karmic?

Comment

Forgot to say, GilGib is down right.

Because the software installer is broken, do this:

From the menu open konsole, and then type
              Code:
              sudo apt-get install samba
              This will install the samba server you need. Also, you may need to go to System Settings and configure File Sharing (some global options) there, before you can actually share stuff.

Comment

Kdesudo dolphin runs dolphin with root permissions. Under Jaunty there is a problem with kdesudo dolphin. there are 2 ways to run it. 1 with the fork command or run kdesudo dolphin in the terminal window and the run kdesudo konqueror. After running kdesudo konqueror, dolphin will then work
                with root permission. Then you can exit konqueror

Comment

see if my server setup post helps you,

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...7911#msg187911
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I think these days most of these things can be done by clicking on pretty windows, I would try that first.

The other I set up some samba shares in literally 2 minutes (between two kubuntu machines) from the graphical interface.

I think your intuition is great. First try to share a regular folder. The NTFS has an additional difficulty, you don;t necessarily own it (depending on how you access it), so I would start with something simpler.

The greying up of the samba share window and the software installer crashing are bugs, I think both will be fixed if you update your packages using some unofficial repositories for KDE4 for Kubuntu.

But Karmic is being released today, I am running it and loving it. Kubuntu introduced some radically new technologies about a year ago, and things are a lot more mature, functional and stable in each release. Karmic is a step in that direction.

Wouldyou rather stay in Jaunty or update to Karmic?

Originally posted by GilGib
                    Kdesudo dolphin runs dolphin with root permissions. Under Jaunty there is a problem with kdesudo dolphin. there are 2 ways to run it. 1 with the fork command or run kdesudo dolphin in the terminal window and the run kdesudo konqueror. After running kdesudo konqueror, dolphin will then work
                    with root permission. Then you can exit konqueror
                    Just upgraded to Karmic and that seemed to fix everything. Yey! I am using Samba to transfer my files over to an XP machine now, then I am going to format the NTFS drive to EXT3. Much easier this time :-X

As for the pretty windows... can't say that I prefer them, still feeling my way around is all. The more I use the konsole the more I like it, even ran this:

Forgot to say, GilGib is down right.

Because the software installer is broken, do this:

From the menu open konsole, and then type
                    Code:
                    sudo apt-get install samba
                    This will install the samba server you need. Also, you may need to go to System Settings and configure File Sharing (some global options) there, before you can actually share stuff.
                    Thanks for all of your help guys. Much of this transition is like learning another language, the patience is appreciated.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the update. For the large shared drive, ext4 is a lot, lot, lot better than ext3 (much haster to format, better performance overall).

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X